Conflicting Advice: Bunny Friends

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laralou

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I have a 6 month old bunny called Hugh, who we have just got neutered. We feel guilty that Hugh spends his days in his cage when we are not around and felt we could get him a little friend - a guinea pig!

We asked the vet if this is doable and she said - yes - this is fine. There are many documented cases of rabbits living with guinea pigs happily. So yesterday afternoon my other half said I could go and pick out a roommate for Hugh.

I went to Pets at Home and had one in mind that I wanted to take home. I asked a staff member there and she said it's not advisable. (The very I went to is at the back of the Pets at Home store!) I'm a bit confused as I have read conflicting advice all over the Internet as well.

Can we get a guinea pig to live with our bunny? Would we have to introduced them slowly to each other? Would it matter if we got a male or a female? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435568635.802376.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435568698.802850.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435568720.038795.jpg

McBunnies post explains it well.
There was also an RO member here who said she had allowed her bunny and piggy together frequently (against advice given here). She did this until one day the bunny accidentally kicked the piggy. The guinea pig ended up with a couple broken ribs and other internal injuries.

Yep, much better off getting another rabbit to bond with Hugh. If you go to a rescue most will already be spayed/neutered and you can take Hugh for "dates" to see who he is most likely to get along with.

I wouldn't risk it :c the bunny can unintentionally harm the bunny or frighten him. Bunnies love company and a bunny and a bunny is soo much better as they are the own kind and Azerane is right most adoptable buns are spayed or neutered and have their vaccines already!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Hugh is going on a date on Sunday with another lovely bunny rabbit!! 🐰🐰🐰

Latest posts

Back