Oscar The Bunny: Eat, Poop, Play, Sleep, Repeat.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarTheBunny

Reaction score
I am going to try and do blogs every now and then as I cannot promise daily updates.

So far so good. This little bugger's name is Oscar, the vet said 3-4 months old so he is quite young still. I have only had him for a day so far. We are already bonding but we still need to work on a few things, such as what you can chew and what you can't, play time hours, feeding time. His poops are ok, as I am writing this he is pooping xD. He has had a few tantrums but vet said we can get him the 'snip snip' in 4 weeks time. Right now i am trying to save up money for that for him to get snipped. He was first quite timid and shy, he would run away if I tried to pet him. However, today he ran straight up to the gate with excitment and jad his first play time in the morning. He was binkying and running around and as soon as it was over he got grumpy and did a big bunny flop. He is fairly tidy with his cage aswell. Eats lots of hay and eats his veggies. What I jave staryed to notice is he isn't eating the pet store brand pellets a lot, I am wondering if he doesn't like it or what. I will get some pictures of him soon.

Here is the cutie! One is eating, another cleaning and pooping :) Right now he did a bunny flop and is relaxing. It is day 2 and we are doing fine. I am guessing that his birthday is around february-march so I am gonna say 12th March is his birthday. He is still a little bunny. I got litter today and he was eating it :/ so I will teach him tomorrow, I will have to use woodshavings for now as litter bedding, I think this only happens to young rabbits. Maybe after he gets snipped I will introduce it. He isn't comparing my hand with bad he is starting to view my hand = good + treats. I really want to start training him doing tricks and jumps for exercise. Right now he is a bit young but maybe when he is 7-9 months I will do that. Oscar has a great personality, he loves getting petted behind his ear however like most rabbits he hates being picked up and I try to avoid that. I think is favourite veggie is carrots, I gave him a carrot the size of my thumb, that is how cautious I am. He is having no trouble cleaning his bottom area. I have gotta say he is a very clean boy, most poos are in the corner and pees are in the corner too.

I was vaccuming today and I noticed how calm he was, and he is calm with the TV on and family talking, laughing loud etc.

Tomorrow I expect to see most of his pellets gone, he is a rabbit that will eat and save. I am probably going to clean his cage this week saturday as his cage doesn't even smell, in fact it smells soooo fresh and nice.

View attachment 1435520702151.jpg

View attachment 1435520715749.jpg

View attachment 1435520735564.jpg

So today was he first day I left him alone for more than 3 hours and I was worrying about him the whole time while I was at school. When I came back he didn't make a mess, some pellets were scattered but it was minor and I am proud of him. I made a little hay toy. Basicially toilet roll stuffed with hay to keep him busy. He still can't get all the hay out and is trying to as I write this.

I let him out to play for roughly 2 hours, we played games such as chase. It is easy you can play with most rabbits in play time, all you need to do is make sure your rabbit is looking at you and run slowly/jog away from him/her and they will chase/follow you. Every time he did I offered him a treat, but all he wanted to do is play :). Then 1 hour in he starts to get grumpy and I notice this chin-rubbing, straight away I knew what he was doing and I knew why. This is why he needs to get snipped because his behaviour was showing up aswell, such as thumping and snorting, yes you read that right, snorting, first I thought it was respitorary now I am almost certain it is behavioural. Snorting I think means a sign that they don't like what you are doing/getting annoyed. So play time was over because someone was getting too grumpy.

In terms of food he is doing great, ate all of his pellets that I gave in the morning and a slice of banana as a little treat for being good over night. I think he finds it hard to drink from a water bottle so I will buy him a bowl for water but I will still put water in the bottle just in case it spills or gets dirty etc. I have limited his treats, and only give it to him as rewards such as standing up when I raise the treat in my hand, which is basic training which is always good to start off.

Friday I will clean his cage fully, one day before that I will clean his litter box if it gets smelly and/or full. Right now he is munching on hay and I love the sound Oscar makes whenever he munches on hay, chomp chomp chomp :3.

Last edited:
I actually think thats marking? But Im not sure I remeber reading somewhere but not really sure. So maybe your bunnys marking you :p

@chester1_andblueberry really? I am already his bunny slave. What else does he want from me?! XD

Yesterday was the worst. It started off great with Oscar finishing all of his pellets and veggies very quickly. But then he let himself down at playtime, again same situation play time was over, but not for Oscar. He sprayed urine at me! Naughty boy!

However, he did eat all of his pellets and he filled up his litter tray so I emptied it. I tried him on the litter pellets again but he eats it, but this morning I didn't see him touch any of them, he only ate from the hay rack, which is a good sign. Before he didn't eat from the hay rack and poop but now he does so I am happy about that. I also gave him romaine lettuce last night and he ate it all in minutes.

That is a good routine I think, pellets in the morning and veggies in the evening. His eating habits are changing and he is beginning to eat stuff a lot quicker, like he is beginning to like the new stuff I am letting him try out. He also chin rubbed me again, I am officially his bunny slave! XD He also gave me some bunny kisses aswell as chin rubbing.

This picture was when it was playtime and he got tired after running around and playing chase with me (but he was the one chasing me) so he did one big bunny flop. Every time they do that I think they look like sausages, am I the only one who thinks that? Lol

View attachment 1435731080554.jpg

Last edited:
Today is not a great day for Oscar. I noticed, yesterday, symtpoms of runny eyes. Today in the morning it looked like it was clearing up so I thought, hey he's fine. Gave him pellets and he ate them all off quick. Then I come back from school to see mucus exiting his eye, I panicked, I know this is basicially a bacterial infection and if I don't do anything it could get worse for him. So I'm planning to take him to the vets soon and try and solve this. Meanwhile I am gonna watch him like a hawk. It is just sad really, his eye is teared up and it looks inflammed, I bet he is in so much pain, poor boy.

Anyways good news is I got a free neuter voucher for when he gets neutered because I was brave to adopt a horny rabbit (lol). I am gonna book it between he 20th-24th July in the morning so I can pick him up in the later instead of him sleeping over at vets. So can you guys tell me what to expect when I neuter him? What to ask the vet? What to do pre-neutuer and after neuter? Carry food? Painkillers? Anything essential I would like to know, thanks. 😊

Just went to the vets and it is confirmed, conjuctivitis. Bacterial infection in his right eye and he has been given eye drops with antibiotics to treat it. First vet trip and I am already suprised at the price. £20 for consultation and £12.76 for medication. I'm so glad that the neuter will be free, imagine the price of that...

He has been eating very well and ever since I noticed the infection I haven't really let him play out, as I want him to get better quickly and see what the cause was. The prescribed dose is 3 eye drops a day for a week. We have our next appointment for a checkup to see how he's doing next week saturday. Week after that is his neuter (which we get for free since we adopted him without neuter) and he is so excited (not). He isn't eating his litter pellets anymore and he is just generally being clean. When I clean his cage I am gonna leave it to air out before putting in bedding and etc then putting him back in. The pellets we have for him right now should last for more than a month. I am now feeding him rockets, curly kale and celery for his dinner and he absolutely loves it and gobbles it all in minutes. Especially curly kale he loves it. The journey was a bit traumatising and I think they were suprised to see us back since we only got him roughly 2 weeks ago.

Great day, Oscar took the eye drops like a champ, brave boy. It is starting to clear up, it doesn't look inflamed at all or teared up. There is still a bit of mucus in the corner of his eye but I don't really wanna mess with it so I will leave it for him to clean up. He is doing great in terms of food as well. I noticed when I was close to the cage this evening with his veggies for dinner, it is like he could smell it. I hid the bowl behind me and he went crazy, it's like he could smell it from afar which is really weird. He was grabbing the cage door with his teeth and pulling and pushing constantly just to get the veggies. Then when I opened the door he jumped out sniffing around me looking for the veggies and he didn't notice I put it in his cage which is a bit awkward, I guess he was a bit clueless and desperate to eat his veggies :p

I now have a youtube channel dedicated to Oscar and also Rabbit Care and Advice videos and some cute montages! I am taking time to make these videos for you guys to watch and be entertained and learn things about rabbits that you maybe didn't know before. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgPq8mbw0HOmKKzOURg0mA
For some strange reason my profile picture for the channel has not yet appeared so I will have to wait patiently until it does. Since school is breaking up this week Thursday I will be uploading a lot on my channel. Probably 2-4 videos a week maybe more. I just uploaded my channel intro, tomorrow I will upload my first ever (proper) video which will be an introduction and then maybe some cute montages before care and advice videos. If you want to see him in action I suggest subscribing to the channel to stay updated with my videos as I do not come on here as often as I do on youtube :p

He is going to get his checkup on the 18th on July I think I said, as soon as it is all clear I'm booking his neuter in between 20-24th July. While I wait for him to get neuter I am gonna watch him like a eagle, this means health checks every day, check his eyes, nose, ears, fur, bottom/private area (which is the cleanest I have ever seen of a rabbit) and his paws, anything abnormal; to the vets it is! (which might delay the neuter but anything to reduce the risk of death in surgery as operating on an infected rabbit is dangerous)

Oscar is making some progress with his eye. It is no longer inflamed nor do I see any mucus coming out, his eye just needs to heal back into normal form from its torn form with the infection. However, this morning I gave him his eye drop and he was fine and took it like a champ, but recently I just put an eye drop in him and in return I got a lot of scratch marks on my wrist, I guess he is trying to tell me to f off :p Anyways I am fine and he is fine, I also attempted to trim his hind paw nails and he didn't like it at all, snorted at me quite a lot to tell me he is really pissed off so I just let him go and eat his veggies. I might need to get the vets to do the hinds but I can do the front paws quite easily as long as he sits still and I have dried papaya around me :p

I had to empty his litter tray because it smelled a bit poopy, which is quite weird because I only had to do it once a week in the past but I guess he is pooping more now so it might change to twice a week. He also isn't eating the litter bedding anymore (YES) and his poops look fine and I did a health check this morning and I find his bottom squeaky clean like it always is.

One funny moment was when it was dinner time for Oscar and I was like 'dinner time!' and he went crazy! He was like 'LEMME OUT' with his teeth biting and pushing and pulling the bars of the cage, I swear he could have opened it if he really put effort in that because one hatch went loose (lol). Then I put down the bowl to open his cage and he jumped onto my laps sniffing me up and down licking my hands (traces of veggies? lol) then I put it in his cage and it took him nearly a minute to realize that it's in his cage... xD Oh and also while I put the bowl of pellets in the morning he grabs my shirt and starts tugging on it while I have the bowl in my hand so the pellets go EVERYWHERE. So I was just like 'uh, let him'.

I am postponing his re-check for next week wednesday so that means his neuter will also be postponed for the week after or the same week depending on what I am doing that week. So fortunately for Oscar, he gets to keep his balls for a bit longer :p

I have been keeping up with your posting, but sorry I haven't been responding. It's good to hear that Oscar's eye is showing improvement, it's good that you saw a vet with it so early before it had time to get any worse.

I used to have trouble feeding Bandit his pellets in the morning too, so often he was so excited that he would grab the bowl or paw at it while I was trying to set it down and pellets would go absolutely everywhere!! :p It's frustrating but very cute all the same.

I will be adding you on youtube in a little bit, I've actually been working behind the scenes on a bunny channel myself over the past 3 months. The most time consuming thing was just trying to decide on a name :p But I've got 2 or 3 videos largely pieced together, I wanted to have a few in the works before I uploaded anything so there's nothing on my channel yet except an avatar (Bunny Basics). I really want to get it up and running before I move in two weeks so that I can post about organising a bunny for a move etc, but not sure I'll get the chance. Looking forward to watching some of your vids :D

Latest posts

Back