Need help with new foster bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I just started fostering a little boy this evening. Hes approx 6 mnths old not neutered( will be neutered once eating regularly) and he looks like a new zealand mix. The previous foster parent told me that he is having issues with eating. He has been checked over by a rabbit savvy vet and seems healthy just does not like to eat pellets or hay. He will only eat veggies. I was also told he is very skittish and doesnt trust humans. I was provided with alfafa hay as well as alfafa pellets and i mixed timothy in with his alfafa hay. Im just wondering how i can help him? im worried if he keeps this hunger strike up he will go into stasis. Anything i could do to encourage him and also to help him to trust me? Ive set him up in my bedroom away from my boys and gave him a cardboard box to hide in as well as a few toys.

If all he's eaten up until this point is veggies, his stomach is probably at least somewhat used to it so I wouldn't expect him to suddenly go into stasis. You could try mashing up some pellets with one of his favourite veggies so he gets a bit of a taste of them. Otherwise try also rolling up some hay inside a lettuce leaf or similar. He just needs to start trying it to realise it's not so bad. A pellet mash might be more appetising too since he's used to food with lots of moisture.

I agree with what was said above :) very good ideas I have once used the lettuce and hay trick with one who only liked veggies and pellets and refused to eat hay. It worked wonders and she now lives her hay as much as the others :)

I just started fostering a little boy this evening. Hes approx 6 mnths old not neutered( will be neutered once eating regularly) and he looks like a new zealand mix. The previous foster parent told me that he is having issues with eating. He has been checked over by a rabbit savvy vet and seems healthy just does not like to eat pellets or hay. He will only eat veggies. I was also told he is very skittish and doesnt trust humans. I was provided with alfafa hay as well as alfafa pellets and i mixed timothy in with his alfafa hay. Im just wondering how i can help him? im worried if he keeps this hunger strike up he will go into stasis. Anything i could do to encourage him and also to help him to trust me? Ive set him up in my bedroom away from my boys and gave him a cardboard box to hide in as well as a few toys.

Did the vet check his teeth thoroughly, for dental problems causing the selective eating? That would be the most common cause of a rabbit not wanting to eat it's pellets and hay, but only want to eat soft foods like veggies. If it was a conscious exam, sometimes molar spurs can hide way at the back of the mouth and it would require a GA for the vet to get a really good look at the mouth and teeth. Head xrays may be needed as well.

In the mean time, you can try soaking the pellets in warm water to soften them and see if the encourages the bun to want to eat them. Another option is feeding Oxbow Critical Care food mix(apple banana flavor). Just mix it up and place in a bowl to see if the bun will eat it.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

I asked the shelter worker who is in charge of the small animals and who was also the one fostering the bun. They have not checked his teeth via Xray because the shelter pays for it and they want to wait to see if we can rule out all other issues or wait until its absolutely necessary before they do one. I dont really agree with the decision but unfortunately i must go with it for now because i dont have the money for the Xray. He has been eating a small amount of pellets and seems a little calmer since i first got him. Im hoping that once he settles he might eat a little better but in the meantime i have been feeding him vegetables in the morning and in the evening. Im trying to toilet train him as well as encouraging him to eat hay so ive filled a toilet paper roll with hay and have placed a hay rack inside the litter box. Im having issues with him drinking from a crock cause hes enjoying tipping it lol so hes got a bottle but im unsure how well he is drinking from it. My boys have crocks so i worry about him getting enough from a bottle. Will need to find a heavier crock or an attachable one.

You seem to be doing the best you can! Lucky this buns got such a great carer :)

Yes definitely get a heavier crock that the bun can drink as much water as needed without tipping it over. I'm assuming he isn't as thirsty though because he isn't eating and hay or pellets. Veggies have a lot of water in them.

You may just have to try all these tricks to get the little darling to start eating hay since it's such an important part of a bunnies diet. Also I'm starting to think the bunny does have teeth problems, so getting that X-ray is really important and may answer all of your questions.

Im happy to report that my foster bunny is eating well :) and is adjusting and is slowly starting to trust humans☺ im so proud of the little man

Back