Very confused about diet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_08

Reaction score
I'm giving Benny an unlimited supply of meadow hay and readi grass. I've started introducing some green veg and I also give him pellets.

I'm confused as to how much veg and pellets I should be giving him and if I give more veg, should I give less pellets and vice versa? Is there a scientific way of weighing it out.

Also, what is normal for the amount of caecotrophes I should find in his house?

He's 12 weeks old.

Thanks

Okay so far with the hay you're doing everything right with the veggies 1 cup per 2 pounds*can be given all at once or during different time periods* I give my buns (2) 1 romaine and red leaf lettuce, plus some parsley ,*not a lot can be toxic so must be done precisely* and 2 carrot chips. Im also getting them into eating two slices of cucumber and 2 slices of tomato :) ...and give 1/4 cup pellets also canbe given at once or during morning and night doesn't matter and no you shouldn't have to increase one and decrease another Hope I helped XOXO Chester and Blueberry

Any tips on how to weigh him so I know how much to give?

If you are just beginning to introduce greens, continue to do so slowly. You don't want to offer too many veggies or too many varieties at once. Introduce one type at a time and wait 3-5 days to check for any reaction (change in poos, for instance). The goal will be to work up to about 2-4 cups of greens daily.

The types of greens will be up to your rabbit. Some rabbits require several introductions to a particular green before they will even try it. Certain greens should not be fed daily because they may be high in calcium (ex, kale, parsley, mustard greens). Others may cause gas in some rabbits (ex. cabbages or broccoli). Dark green lettuces, basil, mint, cilantro are all good to feed daily. Carrots should be viewed as a treat, so yours should not get treats yet until he's on a steady diet that includes daily greens.

Since Benny is still growing, he still needs enough pellets. Those don't need to be limited unless he is eating so many pellets that it causes him to eat less hay. You'll want him eating plenty of hay daily (his body size per day is a general guideline).

Once he approaches 6 months of age, those pellets will be gradually reduced. An average adult (over 6 months) rabbit eating unlimited hay and 2-4 cups of daily greens only needs about 1/4 cup or less of pellets per day.

For another look at knowing what to feed when, you could also take a peek at this page on my site.

Thank you for the advice.

Having read your site, I think I may have introduced too many greens too quickly. Eek! He seems to love them but I am noticing more caecotrophes in his house, can this be linked? I'm still unsure what's normal when it comes to this...?

No harm in backing off on the greens a bit. As one type is introduced, you'll want to see that there is no change in poos. If there is, then bunny's tummy needs time to adjust. Either it was just too much at once or it could be a type of green he doesn't tolerate well. Each rabbit is different.

Just go slow and if there is a change in poos, then back off for a bit then try again with a different green.
Be sure you are noticing the difference between a mushy poo and a cecotrope. Here's a link that shows photos of types of bunny poo (uck!)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

He's had lots of caecotrophes today and not a lot of regular poo so really think I overdid the greens 😕 poor bunny. I've just been giving hay all day, will give his pellets this evening and not give any greens tomorrow...does that sound about right to get things back on track?

How long should I wait after changing diet to see if it's made a difference??

I would say maybe 1-2 weeks if you're just referring to the production of cecotropes.

Latest posts

Back