Help with biting!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I have a litter of bunnies that turn 8 weeks old tomorrow, they are the sweetest little things but of course right before I try to get rid of them I have a biter!! She didn't start doing it until a couple days ago. It started as a little nip if I was in her way but now she is just chomping at my skin!! As I'm trying to type this im laying on the floor and she keeps getting on my back trying to take a bite out of me!! Is there any way to start correcting this?! Will this just be a passing thing or is she just turning into a jerk?! I've spent SOOO much time with them, petting them and talking to them, making sure they will be great pets, idk where this is coming from! And now what do I tell people that might want to adopt her??

No how would I do that? All I've tried so far is telling her no, and you can imagine how well that's worked lol. Someone suggested using a squirt bottle but I don't think that would be helpful at all. She's really getting horrible!

A mother rabbit will use her head to press the babies head down for a few seconds. Dominant rabbits will also do this with other rabbits. Key is doing it gently yet firmly, with a cupped hand. You do it gently as you do not want the baby getting hurt, but also firmly enough that they don't just hop away. You only do it for a few seconds. It needs to be done immediately following the undesirable behavior so they learn to associate the discipline with their bad behavior.

A high pitched squeal can also sometimes help stop biting behavior.

Just wanted to mention that I did the above with my two when they started nipping, and the behaviour stopped after a few days. Two years on they're still not nipping. :) Good luck!

My rabbit just started to bite our fake tree wooden part, we give him toys and salt lick and safe tree branches but why?

Video View attachment 15624

Why????

How long have you had your rabbit? Is he neutered? Bunnies usually decide to chew on whatever catches their fancy -- not necessarily the toys we try to provide. The general rule is to block access or remove anything that you don't want him to chew on.

If he's newly hormonal, that could also be influencing his behavior.

BTW, I see you are a new poster on RO. For a question like the one you just posted, it is best to start a new thread. That way people can respond to your specific question -- especially if you title it well (for example, "bunny suddenly chewing on indoor tree"). Otherwise, it may get lost under someone else's thread. {just a helpful hint :) }

oh.. and PS, bunnies do not need salt licks. (some say they may be harmful)

Jbun I did that with that biting and she is doing SOOO much better!!! Unfortunately she's the only baby I have left and we're now in the dreaded rabbit puberty stage lol so I'm probably not going to be able to re home her until this passes, I forgot how AWFUL it is 🙈

And that tree looks like bunny heaven! Lol my two, and this little one I have left are REALLY well behaved around the house now. My male has free run of the house now (unless my female is out) and I don't have to hide anything or worry about him anymore. I learned, especially trying to train babies, that they will find something they like (usually something with a lot of resistance or that they can yank around) and keep going to that, so I would tell them no (which yes eventually they understand!!) and gently shoo them away if they're not listening and eventually they would learn that they're not aloud near that one particular thing. Then of course they move onto the next thing and it starts all over lol. But eventually after a lot of time with them they know what they can/can't chew on. They really are so very smart!!

Latest posts

Back