Tips for hot weather?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe201392

Reaction score
Hi I am just wondering if anyone has any good tips for keeping my boy cool in the hot weather? We're expecting a heatwave soon and I just want to make sure he isn't getting hot especially as he's being neutered in a week.. Thanks in advance :)

This is a great site!! I've been using the cold damp towels over their cage and the frozen water bottles and they seem to like that.

When it's hot I provide my buns with a large frozen water bottle or two, a cool ceramic tile and I put a few ice cubes in their water :)

I would put the damp cloth over the cage but I am not home often enough during the day to keep wetting the cloth.

If it gets really hot I bring them inside and put on the air con.

Hope I helped a little :D

Salt licks won't dehydrate them if it's hot?

The damp cloths actually stay wet for quite a few hours! Idk about outside though.

Try to shield their cages from direct sunlight. Frozen water bottles tiles and wet clothes are helpful. I have my hutches on a covered porch and keep a fan on to circulate the air.

I bring my buns inside of its really hot and put my fan on in my room and my house trained buns have free roam of it and in the lounge room I put the air con on and the buns are in medium sized metal/plastic cages. If it's not that hot I give them a frozen water bottle each and frozen tiles (amount depends on the size of the cage). And I also use the damp cloth methods on my smaller hutches 😊

I have one rabbit I keep outside and she has never suffered too much in hot weather because she has a HUGE tree to shade over her (Seriously, seems 10 degrees cooler where she's at) and I make it a habit to always put a frozen 2 liter in with her and to pour a little water on my hands, shake of the excess, and then wet her ears with it. Rabbits regulate temperature through their ears so wetting them helps cool them down. :) Heidi seems to appreciate these two things a whole lot in the hot weather.

Well the tile idea went down a treat, not so much the frozen water bottle though haha.

I was thinking about freezing some treats and toys in ice blocks for them and seeing if they liked that.

The new hutch is shaded by lots of trees so they stay nice and cool. Sugarlump loves having water put on his ears but I am yet to try it with Mopsie as he's still getting used to me.

:)

Latest posts

Back