Letting bunny play outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
I have let my bunny run in my yard a few times with an H-harness on. I want to let it become more of a regular thing for playtime but am wondering if I need to do anything to prevent fleas and mites. I've seen people online mentioning Advantage. Has anyone used this for prevention?

I let my rabbits go in the yard all the time and I have never had to worry about mites. Just make sure if anything unusual appears on him/her consult a veterinarian.

My bunny also plays outside regularly. I just took her to her vet and asked about flea meds they weighted her and gave me 3,months worth for her. I believe that they give me advantage.

Does your rabbit enjoy its harness? I have found that the bunnies get tired of them rather quickly, but perhaps mine are just brats. They get outside time in an xpen a few times a week, and I have plans to build a large outdoor structure just for playtime for the buns in the coming weeks. I have never had an issue with fleas- in fact, the only time I ever did was when i had my dog. I have used Advantage in the past with success, but I just don't really need the flea meds anymore. They're good to have on hand though.:)

i agree with KMM i have a large day cage that my buns are allowed in without a harness. i use mite spray which i spray on every 3 mths and for fleas i never really get fleas, but i would use advantage :) i have used it before and it was great. i use lil friends mite and lice spray :)

Thanks for the recommendations. Seems like Advantage is the popular choice here. Since I first posted, I went to the vet and they gave Butter Revolution. I took Butter outside several times since then, even to the park (pesticide free and with leashed dogs), and she really enjoys being outdoors. She especially loves eating the grass.

KKM - I bought Butter the Lupine H-Harness, which I found to be recommended after searching through some forums about leashes. The smallest size (9-14 inch) fits nicely on butter, about 3.3lbs now. Butter is unbothered by it and it's easy to put on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8KRVB4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://store.lupinepet.com/small-dog-and-cat-basics-h-style-harness/

Here's a picture of Butter wearing her harness :)

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Revolution still OK for buns?
my buns are entirely outdoors and vet didn't find any mites or fleas even without any preventative measures.

The Humane Society treated our rescue bunny with Revolution.....seems to be going well.

Latest posts

Back