Sudden Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilly

Reaction score
My rabbit was eating fine and pooping yesterday until sometime in the evening. He got his dinner vegetables and I noticed he only ate about half. Before bed, I went to give him a treat and he refused it. First thing in the morning, after he still hadn't eaten, I took him to the vet. I'm currently visiting my boyfriend, so it wasn't his usual vet (which is 8 hours away). She didn't think an x-ray was necessary at the time, his stomach is soft, and she just recommended I give him simethicone and critical care. She couldn't give me a gut motility drug today but said she would by tomorrow. Since the visit, I've noticed maybe about four poops come out, but none within the last few hours. I'm concerned about blockage and that if I keep giving him critical care, it will make it worse. Any tips? I've been giving him belly massages for a bit now. The vet is open for another couple of hours and I wonder if we should go back and get an x-ray? Or should I just wait to get the gut motility drugs tomorrow?

If you aren't confident in the vet being able to determine a blockage by palpation, then you should either find a better rabbit vet if you can, or do ask for an xray to be done. The vet also needs to rule out a bloated stomach, as continuing to syringe feed with bloat is also very bad.

If the vet didn't send you home with pain medication, you need to request some, even demand it. Pain medication is absolutely essential when a rabbit is in pain. A rabbit in pain will not want to eat. Any good rabbit vet knows this and should prescribe pain relief. Personally, I would have strong doubts as to how rabbit knowledgeable a vet is that doesn't prescribe pain relief for stasis.

If your other vet back home is a good rabbit vet, maybe you could give them a call as well to see what course to take and what medications you should be getting.

I called the vet I went to today and she stepped out, so I'm waiting for a call back. Also called my vet back home and they're supposed to call me back too.

I had doubts about the vet when she suggested pineapple juice or papaya. I also knew to ask for pain medication and now I'm kicking myself for forgetting. I'm really concerned about blockage since he's been shedding heavily. I don't really notice anything abnormal with his stomach, though I know an x-ray is the best way to find out.

As far as shedding goes, it could cause a blockage if he's grooming himself a lot. I had someone recommend laxatone for my bun for times when he's molting and has copious amounts of fur coming off, and he loves the stuff! Might be worth looking into! They sell it at pet stores fe cat hair balls but they make a maple/malt flavor that most buns go nuts over!

My vet called back, said the vet here did everything fine, just that she would recommend an x-ray. Vet here called back and they were able to give me metacam, but said to wait to give it to him tomorrow. I've been giving him stomach massages and can hear/feel gurgling. I will probably ask for an x-ray tomorrow when the cisapride comes in. As of now, he is not eating, does not appear to be pooping, and is drinking little water. I'm going to give him a bit more critical care.

Back