Unexpected death of rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suroh7

Reaction score
Recently (yesterday) I had my beloved bunny pass away. This caught me extremely by surprise because he was a very healthy rabbit. We took him to the vet yearly and he never had any issues. He was kept outside where he had 3 hutches (all kept off the ground) and he had an additional shade area in between some trees where he would lay out. Yesterday morning before work I was playing with him and he seemed a little exhausted but I didn't take it for much because he loved to relax. I came home from work and found him on his side in between the trees he used to lay on. Any idea of what may have happened?

We believe it might have been FRS but I'm still so confused and in shock. He used to love to watch me paint, we played daily together for hours so something like this was just extremely unexpected and tragic. He was 6 years old, I watched him grow from fitting in my palm to barely being able to put both arms around him and I was hoping he could've made it a few more but he's in a better place now.

CFjLo74UMAAKGH2.jpg

CByPsUKUgAIyCDT.jpg

208189_159233840802888_4662046_n.jpg

CEweiFMVIAEoUGe.jpg

That's so sad :( I'm not sure what may have caused it. Sorry for your loss. Binky free little one! :)

So sad. 😢 I'm so sorry for your loss. Xx. I had the exactly same thing with my beloved rabbit Bobby about a month ago, and we had to have him put down...maybe it was the same thing as he was also very healthy and we'd never had any health problems with him before. I'm getting two more rabbits in September, and I'd like to find out if there is something specifically wrong so I can make sure it doesn't happen again.
-Sophie xx. 💗

Apparently it stands for "Floppy Rabbit Syndrome"

Here is a good link. https://www.vetstream.com/lapis/Content/Freeform/fre00306.asp

I still feel so guilty about all this, I could've taken off work and followed my gut but unfortunately everything happened within the time span of 8 hours.

Thanks, it's hard to say whether it was that or not. There are so many things that can go wrong for bunnies in a short period of time. Seeing a rabbit a little more worn out than usual isn't often much cause for alarm, some afternoons Bandit comes out to play, and others he doesn't.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. :( Unfortunately, rabbits are not particularly long-lived animals, and it is sometimes difficult to know there is anything wrong. He may have just passed from old age. Some rabbits do live longer, but there are so many things that influence longevity.

I hope you'll consider adding another bunny to your life. It certainly sounds like he was well loved and that you're able to provide a good home.

Latest posts

Back