rabbit not feeding litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahc12

Reaction score
So my rabbit has 6 3 week old babies and it appears that she hasn't fed them yet today,and they keep climbing out of their nest and running around and won't stay. They run to her to get fed but she doesn't let them feed. She does notice them and checks on them but I am sure she hasn't fed them.these babies actually spent 2.5 weeks under the ground and I only found them on Saturday. She'd been feeding them till today

Did you move them? If you did she might think that a predator has gotten to them. Rabbits feed there young at dawn and dusk so you won't see her feed them. If they have plump stomachs then she has fed them. Are there eyes open? If so they might be fast developers and they want to leave the nest to eat on there on and stuff, I had a litter of 4 do this and they are healthy and happy now :)

If they are three weeks then they are fine. She has started the process of weaning. Make sure they have access to food such as pellets and hay. If they are not on an alfalfa based diet then they need it somehow integrated.

Most babies are partially to fully weaned off of milk by 3-4 weeks of age depending on the mother.

When mine were 3 weeks they were running around and there was no stopping them!! I would see them trying to eat from their mother and she would hop away from them because it wasn't feeding time, and I think they were driving her crazy at that point lol. They're mobile enough now that they will get to her when they need to if she's not feeding them regularly anymore. Just give them some pellets and hay to munch on and they will be fine!

Agree that it sounds like mom has started the weaning process. As the others said, just make sure there are pellets, hay and water available to them.

Mother rabbits will only feed their babies once or twice a day. They may want to nurse whenever possible now that they can get out of the nestbox and find her, but she won't let them until she is ready, which is usually in the morning and/or evening. As mentioned, she may also be starting to wean them. Just make sure they have hay and some of mom's food to munch on in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back