to spay or not to spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent

Reaction score
We are thinking about having Sadie spayed. She is our only rabbit and she is 4 months old, so we have a couple of months to decide. Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Thanks, Brent and Sharon

I think its best to spay, but you need to find a good rabbit savvy vet to take all the worry out of it. Spaying them will make them nicer pets, female rabbits can be pretty grumpy when their hormones act up, they are sweeter when they are spayed. Also, risk of Uterine cancer as they get older is pretty high if they are not spayed.

The above poster has pretty much summed it up for you. There is always a risk with any surgery, but the biggest advantage of spaying in the reduced risk of cancer. Intact females can be quite moody, and may have false pregnancies in which they pull their fur to make a nest etc. There are certainly people on here who have intact females as wonderful pets, but for me the advantages outweigh the miner risk.

Do you know how long will female rabbit heal after spay surgery? And how long will she go back to normal and cuddly after spay surgery?

My bunny was spayed 12 days ago and she is still sulking and upset, so she will not ask for hugs/cuddles yet. Is this normal? What is your experience?

Latest posts

Back