Help with going to the vet and urine scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I noticed a few months ago that my 11 month old rabbits bottom is constantly dirty. She used to poo cecals while she was sleeping and not bother to move and get them all over her bottom so I figured that was the problem. I haven't seen her do this for a while now. Then it occurred to me that it was dark urine soaking her bottom. She was pregnant so I thought okay well that explains her not being able to reach her bottom to clean it. The babies are 7 weeks old now and the problem just seems to be getting worse and she's now developing what I can only assume is urine scald. It's not terrible yet. I noticed if I try to pick her up sometimes there will be a couple drops of urine. It doesn't seem often though. She drinks more water than my male, but it doesn't seem like an extremely excessive amount, she has always been that way, and since she has 6 babies living with her now it's impossible to monitor how much she's actually drinking. I'm going to make an appointment for her to go to the vet. My question is what should I be asking the vet to do? I take my pets to the vet when they need to go, but I absolutely hate going because I feel like I just get suckered into all these unnecessary tests. But I also don't want him to just throw antibiotics at me either and think the problems solved. Should I just bring a urine sample and let him examine her? Or would X-rays be necessary? I'm not seeing any sludge, I don't really know what to look for but from what I read I think I would know if I saw it.

And is there anything I can do for her in the meantime to help her feel better? I feel so bad I didn't realize what was going on before. I have baby shampoo and oatmeal shampoo for dogs, should I use either of these for a butt bath? Or try to just wipe her off? I will be taking her to be spayed soon, my male has an appointment to be done first since he is a complete nuisance but I'm wondering now if I should get her spayed first to help with this, or if it's totally unrelated.

The vet should be able to tell you if it's a urinary track or bladder infection. At 7 weeks you can pull the babies out of her cage and keep them together in a different cage if you need to monitor her water intake. I would expect the vet can get a urine sample from her. If you take one it would need to be fresh.

For urine scald you need to dry up the area.... Corn starch works well for that. :)

If you can, bring a urine sample as you want to know what's causing it.

if she's not cleaning herself up either
1. she's too fat so simply can't do the job well.
2. poor genetics making her too lazy (as in just couldn't be bothered)... messy rabbits generally NOT a good idea to breed so you should pass on doing that again.
3. she's been poorly trained by her mother to keep herself clean (if so remove those kits NOW so they don't pick up her bad habits).

Thank you!! And cornstarch will be safe if she licks it? I would have to assume it was a result of bad breeding. I had NO intention on breeding her, or even having a male and a female in the same house for that matter, but when I realized I did (about 10 months ago) I separated them immediately and even though they are ALWAYS separated, somehow they bred. But anyways the guy I got her from was just breeding them like crazy in his backyard so I think her poor mother was seriously overbred. I see her cleaning herself once in a while but not like my boy does, I'm crossing my fingers that there's nothing wrong with her but then again if there isn't there's no way to correct this problem 😕

My rabbit also had urine scald about two months ago. I went to my vets and they told me that they were going to run tests to make sure it wasn't a urine infection, but they said that to make him more comfortable in the meantime that gently massaging SudoCrem onto the sore areas. It seemed to work well, and it's harmless if the lick it off.
Hope this helps!
-Sophie. Xx

Thank you that is very helpful!! I have a vet appointment Monday but I feel so bad in the mean time! She doesn't seem like she's in a lot of pain but I have to imagine she is.

Latest posts

Back