10 Minute DIY Hay Rack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michel

Reaction score
I purchased a $1.00 small tan litterbox from Walmart. 13" x 9" with one 4" end sloping down to a 3" end. I cut the 4" end off with a small toothed handsaw. I then heated the tip of a phillips screwdriver on the stove and melted holes into each corner of the longer 13". Hung the new hayrack on the outside of the cage, above my rabbit's real litterbox, with zipties/cable ties...and loaded hay from the open 4" end. And that was it.

Someone with better saw skills could have made the open top look better. ..I was just happy my idea worked.

1432676672144.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea however the true test will now be to see how much hay she eats from it. If she is able to empty that box each day (or comes close to emptying it) then you'll know that the hay is easily enough accessible. If so, then the hay rack is a big success.

If the hay isn't being eaten fast enough, then it might be better to simply put the hay directly on top of the litter in her litter box. She should be eating her body size in hay every day.

I knew the rack would work and it holds a lot more hay than most hay racks purchased at the pet stores. He couldn't possibly empty this big rack every day. But he gets it about 3/4 empty.

Also, to me, not having my rabbit standing on and pooping and urinating on his hay is a lot healthier and less wasteful...and definitely less expensive since I throw out very little that falls into the litterbox below.

If he's eating his body size in hay every day, then that is great. That's the goal!

(Rabbits won't eat soiled hay, so putting hay in the box is perfectly fine too. There will be more waste, but if one buys hay by the bale, that isn't an issue.)

Latest posts

Back