Should my rabbit have access to pellets 24/7?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjulezTomAndFranky

Reaction score
We give Franky some pellets in the morning (a handful I'd say, he's 3 months old now..) and by the evening he's already finished with him. Should we give him more then or is it okay? We always provide 'm with lots of hay, but he still seems pretty hungry in the morning.. So I wonder if he maybe needs more pellets.
Thanks for the answer!
:runningrabbit:

Do you feed fresh greens? Like parsley, cilantro, romaine etc. most buns will opt to eat pellets as opposed to eating hay and it can lead to dental problems! I'm not sure what the dietary protocol is for a 3m bun tho

Generally I believe you can give young buns (up to 6 months) unlimited pellets, as long as it's not affecting their hay appetite. I restricted my two to a scoop in the morning and at night, because they would eat pellets until they burst otherwise!

Do you feed fresh greens? Like parsley, cilantro, romaine etc. most buns will opt to eat pellets as opposed to eating hay and it can lead to dental problems! I'm not sure what the dietary protocol is for a 3m bun tho

not yet, just a leaf or two of chicory each day. Because they told us in the beginning we have to be careful about changing diets, and certainly about feeding fresh greens, because he could get diarrhea..

It depends on the bunny--some of ours take more than 3 days to finish the pellets given and others would be furry little blobs if given that much. As long as the hay is there 24/7 and is the main component it might not hurt to up the amount a little. We give ours alfalfa til six months as the extra calcium and protein help with growth til they hit six months and get transitioned to orchard grass.

at when I give them pellet(s), I usually put the green salad mix on top ( so they will have to eat the green to get to the pellets )

plus to that I cheque and top off their hay in the morning and in the evening ( fresh is good IMO )

I keep my rabbit with pellets 24/7 because he does not get greens(Grass lettuce and stuff like that) all the time and I just like to make sure that he has pellets. Also since your rabbit is still growing I would keep it with pellets.

Latest posts

Back