Sudden change and not sure how to proceed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberNikSee

Reaction score
My bun recently got over a bout of stasis/blockage and had to be syringe fed & medicated 3-6 x a day. (Went to vet for teeth trimming since he wasn't eating hay and found 'mass' instead)
He typically has run of a 9x12 room all to himself complete with his cage, a hutch holding the bun supplies and 4 cardboard boxes he likes to run around and hide in. During his ordeal we had him stay in his cage and a puppy play pen over roughly half the room.
Previously a persnickety bun that didn't really care for us but has become very friendly and for the first time since having him-binkying!(OH saw as I was working, so jealous!)
My question is- should I allow him to still have the cardboard houses? He spent A LOT of time in them and I think that may have been part of the reason he stopped eating but I can't be sure.
Also- we plan on getting him a friend and as I have heard they are supposed to be in view of one another could I just section off half the room and have him in the one he's in now and let the other bun have the other half when we get it?

Last edited:
Is he eating excessive amounts of the cardboard? I've heard that it can plug them up, but not sure. So you might have to take those away for a while.

I know he rips a lot of it out but I'm not sure how much he ingests. They're not in there now but I haven't given him full run of his room either

Could it be not the cardboard ingestion but that if he sits in the boxes all day he gets barely any running around and movement to get his gut moving? My bun is the same way with boxes, he likes to hide in the and eat them.

That's very possible! He isn't much of a play-er and I've tried all kinds of toys and things. But he loved those boxes and the problems started not long after now that I actually think about it

Latest posts

Back