I think my bunny has the snuffels

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buns4Life_Cinder

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wanting to know more about the snuffles because I think my rabbit has them. She was sneezing allot this morning and itching her ear. So if u know allot about the snuffles please answer me! Cinder, my rabbit, is only 6 months old and my second bunny. AKA: my first bunny died after having a sickness that I think was the snuffles.

I've had three rabbits who had snuffles symptoms, that I got at different times and I don't think they all had the same thing. Snuffle's symptoms can be caused by pasteurella which is difficult to treat or several other bacteria that might be easier to treat. My first rabbit that had it, had really bad symptoms, sneezing and lots of white snot. I took him to the vet and first he got Baytril, which worked for a week but then it came back and sneezing started again. The vet wanted to give more Baytril but since since it came back when he was on Baytril I didn't think it would work so I found another vet. My next vet had a reputation for being rabbit savvy and prescribed Azithromycin/Zithromax and said if that didn't work we would move to injectable penicillin. But the Azithromycin worked and the rabbit got better and has been better for the last 4 years. The second rabbit I got that had snuffly symptoms came from the breeder with a squeaky sound in her nose, but didn't sneeze or have white snot-- until she had babies. Then she started sneezing once in a while. I kept her an one of her babies and when the baby was a about 10 weeks old it started sneezing. Symtoms were very mild sneezing but I did see a glob of white snot so they went to the vet and got the Zithromax and both fully stopped sneezing and got better and stayed better.

My biggest advice is find a good rabbit savvy vet because they are familiar with treatments that a regular dog and cat vet would not know anything about.

I think this old post is very good for explaining what Pasteurella is and has good advice it might help to read it. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=49458

Also, here is a medical page about it http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

Last edited:
This so much #squidpop. I knew about the whole bacteria part but I didn't know if I should take her in. She was just sneezing this morning alto so I thought I would post she hasn't been sneezing since but she still has a damp nose do u still the i should take her in?

Sorry for late reply. If she doesn't have any white snot when she sneezes and her nose is just wet it could be allergies or something more minor, so not as much of a rush to get to the vet.

Is she still scratching her ear? If you've got a really good rabbit savvy vet to take her to, I would take her in to have a check up so the vet can listen to her breathing with a stethoscope and use his ottoscope to check her ears, up her nose, and her teeth—including back molars. If you don't have a really good rabbit savvy vet I would find one first and then go.

Well in trying to find a good rabbit savvy vet but there aren't many. Ill check tonight on the snot. Yesterday she started to sneezing a little and she was rubbing her face with her paws. Anyways I've been looking into allergies and that's what I think she has. Thanks

Latest posts

Back