Help urgently needed, difficult birth(WARNING-GRAPHIC PHOTO)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazeBunnies

Reaction score
Warning gross image! Need help tho
Hi, my baby girl mocha has just gone into labour!
This is her first litter and she was bred before I rescued her.
I just pulled a baby out of her because it had been there for 4 hours and the legs looked lifeless.
This is the baby:
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1430888496.727552.jpg

I felt 5 in her the yeaterday and this it the only one I have seen her have. She may have given birth but ate it.
She is going to the vet tomorrow but I want to know if anyone else has had this

The info I know is
-father is a dwarf lop
-3 years old
-never had a litter before
-Dutch
-sister has had a litter when she was 2 and was a good mum.
-she was vaccinated while in my care. The vet said we needed to do it despite her maybe being pregnant.(Calci is on the lose in Australia )
-she was fed unlimited pellets that contained a lot of corn in them before I got her
-she has never had hay (any type) before I got her
-I changed her food gradually and slowly over a period of time
-she has had a salt lick
-I give her 1/2 of pellets each night, unlimited oaten,pasture and grass and half or quater a carrot at night.
-she gets parsley once a week
-she was over weight
-her cage was tiny (before I got her)
-she had sore hocks when I got her

I love her so much and I can't lose her. Any suggestions would be great.
I hope the vet can do something for her :(

Hi sorry just realised I posted in the wrong section, admins can you move it to health and wellness, thanks and sorry :/

all you can do is really wait it out.

The kit is long and thin... means it was too big for the birth canal and got squeeze. usually once the first one is out, the rest will come out but if it takes too long for them to come, then death follows for the kits.

The doe SHOULD come through just fine but not be rebred until she loses a good quantity of weight. So lots of exercise in store for her.

Kits mummify if they don't come out, they generally don't go septic, though if your doe continues in labour that's not so good for her either. They generally stop after a time.

Hopefully she expells them all, then you can get her on a proper diet. Next time, don' wait so long before pulling the kit out. Birth in rabbits generally takes no more than 15 minutes. Anything longer, is worthy of paying attention to. And stuck kits are particularly worth paying attention to.

It's hard to tell, but is the head on the kit? If not, you have problems and need to see the vet. She does need to expell the other kits. If she doesn't a vet can give her oxytocin, once he's confirmed they're in there.

If I had a very good vet to go to, I would take her to the vet. If she is still in labor I think she could get the oxytocin injection to help her deliver the rest and that would help her. But if she's not having contractions still and they give the oxytocin its supposed to be bad for them-- so you have to have a good vet that knows something about giving oxytocin injections and when to give them and when not to give them.

If you read the bottom paragraph on this page it has some very good information about oxytocin and retained kits. http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-breeding/retained-reabsorbed-stuck-kits-help/

We have been to the vet, she said that she an feel more lumbs in her but she dosent know if they are kits, as of the first one was like that they wouldn't feel like kits. She is having a surgery on Monday and desexing on Thursday

It sounds like this vet isn't good at palpating. The kit is stretched out only because the doe had a hard time pulling it out. The vet could've also taken an x-ray to check for kits.

It's hard to tell, but is the head on the kit? If not, you have problems and need to see the vet. She does need to expell the other kits. If she doesn't a vet can give her oxytocin, once he's confirmed they're in there.

I think the head is there, it looks like the birth sac is still around the top half of the body.

Back