Breeding question about an older buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitGirl321

Reaction score
I had this all typed out then pushed backspace and instead of just being able to fix my spelling error it actually went pages back... *sigh* Hate re-typing things, and it only happens when I type long things. Also I had no idea where to post this topic at, so feel free to move it if need be mods!

Anyways! Somebody contacted me yesterday wanting to trade harlequin bucks, as we both need new bucks due to them being related to our does, and this buck isn't related which around here it's pretty hard to find unrelated harlies. He has nice markings, face split is on the same side of his face as my does even, but... the down fall, he'll be 3 years old in September, and he hasn't bred since last fall they said, not sure if early or late fall either, and I worry that due to the age and not having bred in awhile he may have lost some fertility/stamina and possibly isn't even able to breed anymore. I wouldn't worry about it so much if we hadn't already bought an older dwarf hotot doe and buck that we never got babies from even though both owners we bought them from said they had litters (and not long before we got them even), because of that I'm iffy on if I should get this buck despite really liking him. What do you all think? Do you think he'd still breed fine, or should I pass?

doesn't matter the age of the buck. As long as he works, he works.

Bucks can do their job well into their teens as long as they are healthy.

BUT is this a harlequin BREED buck? if he is he'll be too big for that dwarf hotot.

how old are the hotots? are they in shape to be bred?

You can always ask them to test breed him, or arrange that since you are trading a WORKING buck, if this one proves a dud, you bring him back and get a different one.

Oh, he's not going to be used with the hotots, I was only saying I've had prolems with older hotots I've bought and that's why I wasn't sure if I should get thos buck since he's older.

And thank you guys! :)

Back