My bunny jumped into a candle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laralou

Reaction score
I am very new to looking after a bunny. I am a new mum to Hugh, a 4 month old mixed breed rabbit.

He is a house bunny who I let roam around the living room while we are home. When he is in his cage I light candles and thought I had blown them all out when I let him out.

Unfortunately, one tea light was still lit and Hugh jumped onto it. I am devastated that I missed that this candle was still lit. He obviously freaked out a bit but he seems fine. He is currently trying to clean the wax from his paws.

Should I take him to the vets to make sure there is no lasting damage?

Can you see any sign of burns, or any singed hair? Or do you smell burning fur? Did the candle really get him or did he just get the wax on him? If he just got wax on him he might be ok but if he got burned you should probable have a vet look at it.

He is almost certainly fine, the candle would have gone out before it could burn through his fur and burned his skin (and if it did, you'd like see a bald or singed patch). I would do a thorough inspection of his body and skin and fur and if there are still any doubts, vet for sure.

He is almost certainly fine, the candle would have gone out before it could burn through his fur and burned his skin (and if it did, you'd like see a bald or singed patch). I would do a thorough inspection of his body and skin and fur and if there are still any doubts, vet for sure.
:yeahthat:
This
Candles are pretty delicate, especially tea lights. Doesn't take much for them to blow out. The moment he landed on it, It would have likely gone out. Even singed fur is nothing to bat an eye about. Your rabbit is probably more annoyed that he got this weird wax stuff stuck to his fur.
Look how people can put a candle out with their fingers. Or wave their hand over the flame. Its a candle not an oven.

He seems fine in him self. I could smell more burning carpet than burning rabbit.

His whiskers are a bit singed - will they grow back?

I think you need to take a course on Parenting and your rabbit should go to a psychiatrist because he will have a fear of fire and emotional trauma for life if you don't. Hee Hee , of course I'm joking :humour:

Latest posts

Back