cut nail quick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniferdwn

Reaction score
I noticed that i had let my 2 bunnies nails get too long so i cut them today All went well until i cut one way too short when he jumped. It bled so much until i am worried. I thought it had stopped and then when i brought him back inside and put him down, he started licking it and it started pouring again. It has filled up most of a paper towel. I tried a scryptic pencil (not sure if i spelled that correctly) and that didn't work so i packed it with flour. i cleaned his cage completely and put clean newspapers down so i can see if he is bleeding again and he is licking his paw now. I can 't see any blood as of now, but what else should i do? we don't have but one vet in town that sees rabbits and if she''s isn't the one from that office that is on call, i don't know who else to call. Please send some advice as i value the advice from here as much as i do from the vet. thanks!

A styptic pencil or some corn starch should stop the bleeding. If the bleeding has stopped, there is really nothing you need to do. I'm sure everyone on this forum has cut the quick at least once. The nail will heal on its own so no need to see the vet.

I wrapped it in a paper towel and held it tight for a loving time and after about 15 minutes it stopped bleeding. I packed it good with flour and put both bunnies in desperate cages for the night. He cleaned it and today he seems fine.

Remember, (almost) all bleeding stops eventually.
Try styptic powder instead of the pencil, you can pack it in like you did with the flour but flour was a good second choice.

Latest posts

Back