Storage of Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
Hello!

Soon I will be welcoming another Netherland Dwarf into my life again, the first rabbit I'll have gotten since my ND's death (I was adamant against more rabbits after his death, I took it pretty hard) and I'm hesitant but looking forward to it now! But with a 2nd bun, I'll need to get more hay. I had been getting bagged hay since my current rabbit doesn't like bedding, she only wants a cat carrier to lay in (Yes, she's weird) so I didn't have a need for huge bales as they'd expire long before she could eat them.

I have someone locally who sells very good, fragrant hay ($5/bale, yes please!) but they only sell it in the "Small square" bales. The problem is that my last bale expired QUICKLY and some that I broke up and stored in bags got peed on by local stray cats who thought it'd be a good idea to physically dig the bags open from the non-open sides and then pee in it.

I am wondering what you guys would advise in terms of storage? I am thinking of maybe getting a tarp and wrapping it up VERY securely since it will be more difficult for a cat to get into it through a good, sturdy tarp and it'll keep the bale from getting bleached/damaged by the sun. It'll be stored under our hooded carport so it shouldn't be in direct sunlight anyways, but I like to be cautious. Does this seem like a good idea?

I appreciate any and all input! :) Just trying to get everything set up for the new arrival.

I'm guessing that it's probably a bit humid where you live? If so, then storing hay without a lot of breathablility will cause it to mold. So wrapping in a tarp or in anything plastic probably wouldn't be good. It would be best to store it indoors if you can, in cardboard boxes with some air holes should work. If you can only store it out under your carport, you may need to build a large wood bin to store it in, with lots of air holes covered in mesh to keep critters from getting in it, and large enough to allow lots of space inside it to allow for airflow around the bale.

Yes, it is very humid here most days! I had no idea no breathability would make it mold! I thought it only molded if it got wet and then left out. Luckily my dad is good with woodwork so maybe I can get him to help me make a box to store it in. :) I've looked at the plastic options online but it seems like a hefty $200 to pay for the bin when most don't look incredibly sturdy.

I thought of storing it indoors but at the moment my house is a family of 9 and most closet space is accounted for. I keep the small bagged hay in my closet but I can't imagine trying to fit a whole bale in there! Not to mention I have allergies and I don't think keeping the hay in here would do well for my wellbeing, either. xP I can tolerate it outside where I suppose the hay's allergens are diluted but in small confined spaces it really flares up.

Do you think using some plywood (thick type, I forget what my dad calls it... Something -board) with holes and mesh would be adequate? I'm a little concerned about bugs getting in there (we once had a bale that spiders got in, eep); is there a certain type of mesh that will allow air flow but keep most bugs out?

Do you know any other rabbit owners in your area who might split a bale with you? That way you don't have to work with quite so much at a time.

The reason hay will mold when there isn't good airflow is because though the hay is dry it does contain some moisture, especially if in a humid environment. So when it gets wrapped too tightly in a non breathable material, this holds that moisture in as well as the heat, promoting mold growth. If your home is air conditioned, this reduces the amount of moisture in the air, so that is why storing inside is better, because it's less humid. But understandable if this isn't possible. Hay out in the open in a covered barn is best for air flow, but the problem with that is you can't keep critters off of it, so it can easily get contaminated.

Wood will absorb moisture, so will help draw moisture out of the hay somewhat, but good airflow will be the key to preventing mold growth. Plywood should work just fine. You will want the box to be several inches larger than the actual bale, so that there is air space around the bale on the inside of the box, to allow air from the vents, to flow through and around the bale. The bigger you can make the box the better. Meshing over the vent holes will keep mice and other critters from contaminating the hay. Fiberglass screen should be fine. I can't guarantee this will work, but it seems like the best option in your conditions. You do want to make sure the box is placed in an area where it won't get wet from rain.

You could try the tarp if you want to see if it will work out, but you will need to keep a close eye on the hay for spoilage.

Thank you both for input!

I do not know of any other rabbit owners unfortunately. Most people here do not even know rabbits need hay, let alone provide it. If I knew of others, I'd definitely share the bale! These bales are pretty good sized, I had an alfalfa one for when Heidi was a baby and it would have lasted for a very long time if it hadn't been desecrated.

Thank you for explaining the reason! I hadn't even thought of that, haha. Good to know now why it spoils! I may have to keep it in a tarp for a bit while we get things in order (Grandpa is in bad health but the rabbit is meant as therapy for him to keep up spirits because he likes seeing rabbits run around and he likes handling them, most everything is in order except for new stable wire for hutch and the hay bin) but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Would a tarp like this one be a better idea than the typical plastic-y tarps? It seems a little bit more breathable than the others but I'm not sure it'd be quite so protective. Our car port has exposed rafters and posts; I am trying to think of a way to temporarily suspend the bale but I cannot think of one that's feasible.

Last edited:
We love our storage bin that we use. Ours sits on top of bricks on their sides with plywood on top and it has vent holes as well. Mom got it at sears hardware. Here's a search example of it and the one that ours looks like is the suncast 73 gallon deck box with seat.

http://m.sears.com/lawn-garden-sheds-outdoor-storage-deck-patio-storage/b-1021811?viewAll=true

It fits a square bale perfectly! If you keep it In shade and up off the ground I think it should be fine

Thank you all for the input! I will definitely look into those storage bins, they're a lot more affordable than the ones I had seen. I especially like those wicker-imitation ones, they're very stylish. :) You'd barely even know it was a storage bin!

I had a longer, more concise reply written out the other day but then my internet went out and I lost it! :(

Latest posts

Back