Anyone else have a rabbit afraid of odd things?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My eight month old rabbit is terrified when I cook. And no, my cooking isn't that bad! ;) If she's out of her cage and I'm cooking dinner, she will hide behind the couch until there is no more food smell. Then she will run out and army crawl to another hiding spot until I can coax her out. I don't get it. She isn't afraid of ANYTHING else. It's so weird. Doesn't matter what time of day I cook, what I cook, or if she's in her cage. When she is in the cage, she hides under her shelf she sits on.

She is definitely not a shy rabbit. Daphne likes people and is pretty sassy. I've been trying to see if she will get over it, however it just hasn't been improving.

Does anyone else have a rabbit that does this, or is afraid of something totally weird? Not that I'm looking for a definitive answer to this problem, but maybe someone who can make me feel like I'm not the only one with a weirdo bunny.

This is actually quite common. My rabbit was also afraid of cooking. I'm not sure if it's the sound or smell or both but she's definitely not a fan, although she's gotten a lot better with it. Sophie also doesn't like the sound of crinkling chip bags or the sound my rain coat makes when I put it on. It's sort of a swish swish noise and her eyes pop out of their sockets every time lol.

my rabbit is not afraid of cooking, but she HATES the sound of flatware against bowls- like if you were having ice cream and were scraping the last bit. she will run off and stomp. other than that she is fine with anything... the vacuum, the air torque wrench, and other loud noises :)

Cali hates the smell and sound of frying food. She freaks right out. Also when people come over she hides but stays where she can still keep an eye on them. Steve is social and outgoing and I have hardly ever seen him thump or hide. However he is too scared to go anywhere new, like if I put a mat (he won't step on the hardwood) down as an island to a new area of the house he won't go until he sees Cali has gone and checked it out first.

Latest posts

Back