Litter and litter box questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimbasMom

Reaction score
Hello all! Been a while since I have been around but we just adopted a new bun and this poses new questions. Our first rabbit Simba is about 9 months old and is doing very well with his litterbox usage. We have the occasional poops outside the box but that's nothing that can't be picked up. He has two large cat litter boxes, one in his cage and one out of the cage in his room. As for the new bun she is in her own cage (Simba gets his man hood takes away on May 5th) with one of those small corner boxes. She occasionally pees off the side of the box. She is on it but the pee goes outside. I'm at a loss for what to do because her cage is not big enough for much more and her and Simba cannot share their room together yet. Any ideas on what to do? I can get another cat litter box for when she is in her xpen but what can I do about the cage?

Thanks!
Simba & Nala's Mommy

Also what types of litter does everyone use? We use the recycled paper pellets but it's approximately $20 for 20lbs. I was hoping for something just as absorbent and more cost efficient. The new bun drinks wayyyy more water than I ever remember Simba drinking.

I use recycled paper pellets, but if you're looking for super absorbency, I've read that horse wood pellets are recommended. I haven't tired it personally, but I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Here are a few websites that I saw while looking around that seemed to be informative

http://www.pelletmate.com.au

http://www.oz-pet.net.au (if you read their testimonials from cat owners, it seems pretty well recommended)

sorry I live in Australia, so these are Australian brands

But you're problem doesn't seem to be absorbency, I think the litter box is too smaller for her. I use to have a corner one when I first got my bun, but I quickly realised it was too small (and I'd have to change it like 3x a day because he pooped so much).

I'm a little worried that you're cage isn't big enough for more than a corner litter though...perhaps get a roomier cage? It seems like your little one is trying her best :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back