Rabbit pain relievers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny just got spayed yesterday and for the next 5 days she gets a dose of metacam every 12 hours. I gave her first dose this morning at 11 so I was wondering if I have to give it to her every 12 hours At the same time. I can give it to her at those same times (11am and 11pm) this weekend but on Monday I'd have to give it to her 7am. I'm worried that'll be too soon.

Wha should I do?

I think it depends what dose you are giving her.

It gives two possible doses here http://vgr1.com/metacam/
Long term: 0.3-0.6 mg/kg (The standard range that's safe)
Short term: 1.0-1.5 mg/kg (For acute, short term use only, if needed)

I assume your vet is giving the lower dose range since its for long term- somewhere between 0.3-0.6 mg/kg ??? If that is correct then I would just give her what ever dose you have been giving because there isn't much chance you are going to overdose her because the short term dose for emergency situations is as high as 1.5 mg/kg so as long as you don't exceed that in 24hrs— I don't think it could be an overdose. Also they say the half life of Metacam is 8 hours so half of it will be out of her system by 7:00.

But I am not a vet so if you are worried you should really just call your vet.

Last edited:
Ideally yes you would dose her every 12 hours, but it's okay if there's some adjustment there. Vets are prescribing things "every ___ hours" more often because some people instructed to give a medication " ___ times daily" will give say two doses an hour apart and consider that appropriate. You can adjust the time she gets her medications to something that better fits your schedule, just do your best to space the doses as evenly as possible.

Latest posts

Back