Been with buns who have myxomatosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hi went to volunteer shelter today not knowing they all had myxomatosis and now I am going home to my bun. I know it is a very bad disease and I know not to touch her until I've been in the shower changed clothes and shoes ect. Would my phone be ok though, I've been using it and now I'm going to shower so I'll be clean but then I will touch it again. Is this bad? What else can I do to make sure she doesn't get it??
Please anyone!!!!!!!

Could you get your bun vaccinated against it just in case? It's probably worth doing anyway even after you've had a shower etc as even house buns can get it (though it's rarer).

Yes I can, I will ring the vet on Monday. She should be ok shouldn't she??? I've cleaned everything but I can't not touch her, she loves attention

I've heard mixed feedback about the spread of myxo through environmental contact. It's usually only spread by biting insects or from direct contact with other rabbits. Showering and changing your clothes and washing them is a very good step. Give your phone a wipe down but it should be fine. Calicivirus is very persistent on the environment and spreads extremely easily, I believe myxo is a lot more dependent on rabbit to rabbit contact. It will most likely be fine, but as previously mentioned, get the vaccination if you can. I believe symptoms can take 8-10 days to appear so count off the days until then as well. If nothing is amiss in two weeks time you are all clear.

I think you should be ok but I'm not a vet so I can't say that with certainty. You could also minimise the amount of contact you have with your rabbit for a few days (no licking, petting etc, just feeding and changing water).

Ok thanks for your reply! I've been very careful although I've been doing a bond thing where I sit with her every night and lay on the floor and watch her hop free roam around the floor and she comes up to me and demands kisses and pets and sits waiting for them... But if that will stop her from getting it then I guess I have to stay away. I will ring the vet on Monday and organise a vaccination asap. I am very sad and angry about this as I didn't know :(

There needs to be a flea or a mosquito to transmit it. This quote from another site should make you feel a little more at ease. http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/intervet.htm
.......myxomatosis is not easily spread by simple contact from one rabbit to another. For instance if a myxomatosis-infected rabbit is placed in the same hutch as a healthy rabbit and neither animal is parasitised by fleas or mosquitoes, then the disease is virtually never transmitted.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! You've put me at ease! I was very worried so thanks :)

Well there you go, I wasn't sure whether environmental contact was an issue, I just always deem it better to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back