Peeing on bed/couches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've read everywhere that a lot of bunnies pee on couches and beds because of all the human scent or just because they like to use the bathroom on soft things. But my bunny goes on my bed and couches and doesn't do this UNLESS I pick him up and put him on my bed or the couch. I noticed that he does this the first time I put him on the couch in my house. He peed and pooped a few pellets on it. But since then, he goes on the couches as he pleases with no accidents. Now today, I wanted some snuggle time so I picked him up and put him on my bed to lay with me. He was fine for a little bit then dug my sheets (which he always does its cute) and then boom! Squat against the wall and peed right on my bed! But he's been on my bed many times and has not done this - again only when I put him there. Why is this? Is he just mad because I put him somewhere where he doesn't want to be? Lol someone please give me an answer for his sillyness

My rabbit when I put him out of his cage he jerking his feet and peeps the wall! He always does that !

my female bun love(s) doing this and I have to keep a pair of extra eye(s) n her

im guessing they are wanting to make their presents known

He may just need to pee and doesn't want to get down, in which case a litter box handy may help. Or it could be he is letting you know he is upset about being picked up and put up there when he didn't want to be.

Yesterday Franky peed on the couch as well.. Could it also happen when they're afraid? or is that just a human thing :)

I think there's just something about the human-smelling cushiness of couches and beds that beckons rabbits to pee on them. It's worse when they are actually lying on you. Sigh!

do they have bunny huggies out on the market somewhere ... ??

in case they have these kind of so called accident(s) =0)

I think it's a territorial behavior. My male rabbit has pooped and peed on our couch before, once when he first moved in, a second time when I had a dog over who slept on the couch, a third time when I let a very smelly human friend sleep on the couch, and the last time he did it was when I spray painted inside the house and the smell went all over (not smart I know, but it was raining outside). I am very much of the opinion that he only pees or poops on the couch to reestablish his own scent on it and reclaim his territory. He doesn't do it any more fortunately but we've also quit doing stuff that changes the scent dramatically, like allowing dogs over. I've also noticed he only does it to the 1 couch, we have lots of furniture that he doesn't feel the need to mark.

In our case, I don't think it's to leave his mark. Maybe the first one or two times.. But he just keeps doing it! Always exactly the same spot. Not just peeing, also pooing.
Yesterday, he was chilling in the living room, suddenly he runs toward the couch real quickly, jumps on it, and then leaves behind 4 dungs. So, he really had to go, I guess, and he thought that was the proper spot.
We're going to bar him from that spot so he chooses a new spot.. And then maybe later, we can take him with us in the couch again :)

Latest posts

Back