Favouring Leg??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddersMom

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed my rabbit favouring his left front leg slightly. I noticed it because he would hop a bit funny. And it's not very noticeable at all because when I'd herd him around the room he'd look fine. And then again I'd see like one odd step. I didn't think too much of it since there is no noticeable limp or pain.
But now I've noticed he lounges around a lot, all splayed out. But when he sits up to clean himself he will often favour the leg and when he is laying down upright he has the favoured leg tucked in. This is what made me really notice something was up.

I have looked at the paw and examined his nails and everything looks normal.

I've attached some photos. They are of him with his sore leg tucked in and how he favours it when sitting up. I will hopefully try to get a video sometime of his funny step.

He is a 2 year old neutered lop that is free range around my room.

ShreddieOne.jpg

ShreddieTwo.jpg

Really the only thing you can do is have your bun examined by your vet. May also need xrays done. It could be a fracture, or it could just be a sprain. You may only need to limit your buns activity to give it a chance to heal, but splinting it may be a possibility as well, depending on what the vet finds.

Okay, I think I will just hold off a tiny bit before heading to the vet because I just want to monitor it for a few days. I'm obviously no vet but it doesn't seem like a very serious break or fracture because he mostly hops on it just fine and can put weight on it without any obvious sign of pain. He still hops around, eats drinks and uses the litter box perfectly.

However, is there anything I can do in the meantime? I've examined his paw and I can't locate a specific source of pain because everywhere I touch the paw he seems okay.

Should I try to ice it or are there any home remedies I can do?

Could it just be a pulled muscle or something of the sort? It seems a more gradual injury than a break so is there any chance at all it can go away on its own?

Latest posts

Back