DFBP Blaze, my Holland Lop Buck. Opinions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if I can get some opinions on the quality of my Holland Lop buck, Blaze. He is a 2013 model, and he is pedigreed. Just looking for opinions on him overall, as I have no ability to recognize quality. I love the little bugger regardless, and plan to use him to breed, both pet and pedigree litters once I get a little further along with the hollands.

18082_10152950519012928_3284629296867951246_n.jpg

1900146_10152950516962928_8914085497270629924_n.jpg

10981958_10152699219086603_6304229029006573849_n.jpg

11133840_10152950517327928_6756077515735470726_n.jpg

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You must have the ability to recognize quality.

My recommendation, if you haven't already, is to purchase the ARBA Standard of Perfection (available at www.arba.net). This gives you a written explanation of what to look for in each breed, including Holland Lops. It's even better if you're able to visit a few shows and watch the judges handle the rabbits. This is the best way to learn because you can see how one rabbit compares to another and start to recognize those "wow" rabbits.

This happens long before breeding. A pedigree doesn't mark quality - ANY rabbit can be pedigreed. It is simply a piece of paper that outlines the rabbit's genetic history. So, before breeding, you must learn to independently evaluate type and select breeding pairs that will promote correct physical and genetic traits.

This cancels out the term "regardless." If you're planning to breed this rabbit regardless of what we tell you about him, that tells me you aren't ready to be raising rabbits yet.

I don't mean to come off as harsh because none of us are born knowing these things. I'm just trying to stress the importance of knowing what you're breeding and intentionally breeding to meet the breed standard. Even when you are selecting for certain traits, there will still be many babies that do not meet criteria for being bred or shown. These rabbits can be sold as pets.

As mentioned, we need posed pictures to properly evaluate your boy. However, based on what I see in the pictures available, he appears to have a decent head and ear but is long and narrow in the body.

Ok, got you all, thank you for the replies and information. I will try to get more correct photos of him as soon as I can. It's storming out there today, so it likely will have to wait until I have good lighting in the barn to take them.

I appreciate the feedback on improper breeding as well. I was told he was "quality breeding stock", and so assuming I was buying something suitable for breeding. I'm hoping that is true, because I'd really like to get into Lops, but not really hoping for "just" pet quality (not that there's anything wrong with pets, but I have an interest in 4H and other shows as well).

Either way, I am in love with this buck, and he has a home with me regardless of whether he ends up being what I intended him to be. He is sweet and loving, and that's the most important part in my barn. I will be looking into attending shows this year, but unfortunately I am a bit isolated where I live, and there isn't much other than 4H clubs.. but hoping I could learn from them as well.

Thank you!

4-H is an excellent place to get started, and there should be other exhibitors there who can help you evaluate your rabbit in person (that's usually more accurate than photos anyway). He is certainly a cute bunny and can likely be used for breeding, it's just really important to learn how to best choose a doe for him and what characteristics to select for.

Holland Lops are a very popular, competitive breed. They're also very inconsistent producers. So it's not a breed that you can pair two nice animals and know that you'll get nice animals. You could breed two Grand Champions and get junk (quality-wise, that is - of course they can still be cute pet bunnies). So that's why it's a long process in learning about type, learning your lines, etc.

Latest posts

Back