getting my first bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tt514tt514

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I've decided to add a new animal to my family (just me) after my cockatiel passed away earlier last year. I have 2 hamster, Pip and Giselle, here in Chicago living with me. I'm currently a graduate student and a therapist in training.

I've been eyeing these two rabbits that I saw, one was a holland lop and one was a dutch. The holland lop was very laid back and the dutch approached me instantly and then later the holland lop also came and they were cuddling near the corner of the cage that I was in. I'm so torn since I think I love the dutch a little bit more but I've been looking at some information online and most people said that holland lop are the most cuddly rabbit breed and the dutch isn't. I'm really looking for a calmer laid back rabbit to chill with me and let me cuddle with them ideally. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience and suggestion regarding these two breeds. Another quick question, I'm wondering if the living world XL cage would be sufficient when they are full grown considering having outside of the cage time for a few hours a day. Thanks!

Tim

Where are you seeing these rabbits? If it is from a petstore, then the breeds are more than likely mixed breeds (but happen to favor the appearance of certain breeds). IMHO, breed doesn't determine personality to any significant degree - especially when breeds are mixed anyway. Each individual bunny is totally unique. So I prefer to choose solely on personality and disregard breed. (That said, I have heard good reports regarding both breeds.)

The age also makes a difference. Baby rabbits can have personalities that will be no indication of what they will be like as adults. So you'll want to know the ages of these rabbits that you are looking at. If they are babies, their adult personality will be unknown. If they are already adults, then you are seeing what they are truly like.

A cage can never be large enough. Have you seen the cage photos of forum members on this site? Here is a link.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=83446

I realize the cage you linked is one of the larger "pet store" ones, but it is still just 8 square feet. That seems rather small for me even with some time out of cage. The plastic bottom is slippery so bunny can't do any hopping in that cage. Ideally a cage will allow a little running room and stretching (upward) room. Once a litter box is put in the cage, it will shrink that space even more. But there are cheaper, larger DIY options. At the very least, an x-pen can create a roomy cage. There are also other creative options from members here on that link above.

Rabbits are quite unique and most are not the pick-up-and-hold type of pet. They prefer attention on their terms, their times, and while their feet are firmly on the floor. If you are ok with that, then welcome to the world of bunnies!

One more quick question, I'm wondering if i should feed my bunny alfalfa hay and based pellet...if i do, what should i start switching to timothy hay and based pellet. I'm going to the vet to get Gus neutered so I will probably ask the vet then but you can never fully trust a vet i always feel like :p

It depends on the rabbits. Some of my rabbits are healthy on a Lucerne based pellet. And some prefer other pellets. Don't over feed, about 1/2 cup would be good.

Which rabbits did you end up choosing?

Generally, rabbits under 6 months should have alfalfa-based pellets and the hay can then be either alfalfa, timothy or a mix.
Around 6-7 months, one transitions to timothy-based pellets and timothy (or other grass hay). Pellet amount for adult rabbits (6-7 months) is limited based on body weight.

The following amounts are from:
http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/
"
5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily
8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily
11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

Once pellets have been reduced, it is equally important to make sure that fresh grass hay is available to the rabbit at all times, and that fresh vegetables be given in larger amounts than has previously been recommended (up to 2-4 cups a day). "

It depends on the rabbits. Some of my rabbits are healthy on a Lucerne based pellet. And some prefer other pellets. Don't over feed, about 1/2 cup would be good.

Which rabbits did you end up choosing?

I ended up picking the Dutch! :D

Latest posts

Back