Tooth grinding or belly grumbling??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hi everyone as you may know why some of my recent posts, Phoenix isn't her brightest at the moment (some abnormal poos and bit of diarrhoea with them, drinking a lot of water and not as active- she usually has free roam of our bedroom when I open her x-pen up and she runs and binkys) she is due to have blood tests done next Tuesday.
She is still eating a lot of hay and drinking her water (little too much I think) and I had taken away her Oxbow alfalfa pellets because of her poo situation but I was told by somebody today to keep giving them to her because she is missing out on nutrition.

I sit down on the floor with her to be at her level and as I was petting her and what not she was making these strange noises.. earlier I thought it may of been a grumbling tummy but now it sounds like she is tooth grinding, it isn't loud but it is noticeable.. Is this bad? I know it can mean shes content but I know it can also mean that shes in pain... But in saying that she hasn't been exercising around the room lately, I got a hard plastic ball toy today (for dogs) but I put a couple of pellets in that and she spends ages nudging that around and seems to love it so I don't see how she can be much in pain? The vet said her teeth look fine as well.

Does anyone know why she is making this noise???
Any info would be good :)

If you hold her tummy up to your ear and you don't hear anything gurgle then it is probably is her teeth grinding. Sometimes I think my rabbits do grind their teeth a bit when sometimes when they are relaxed just sitting in their cage. Sometimes when they are sleeping I see their mouths move back and forth, like maybe they are dreaming about eating something yummy.

She's in bed now but I will have another listen in the morning but I'm pretty sure she was teeth grinding because I put my ear really close to her mouth and could hear it. But I will keep an eye on it :) she's a cutie! Thanks for your reply!

If you had to lean very close to hear the grinding, then it would have been happy grinding. Soft tooth grinding or tooth purring is a sign of a happy/content rabbit. Loud tooth grinding/crunching is an indication of pain.

Ok thanks for your reply :)
I'm just very confused, I don't know how she can be content when she's not well...

Latest posts

Back