Getting my rabbit to tolerate being held

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know my rabbit will never LIKE to be held. It's not enjoyable for him now so Im not expecting that to change, however I think it's important that he learns to tolerate it so I can do periodic checks (his nails and butt area) just to make sure everything is clean and fine. I've had him for about 3 months now and he's adjusted wonderfully and bonded with me great, but I've waited until now to try picking him because I didn't want him to fear me early on and avoid me. I've been picking him up once or twice a day for only a minute or so. Obviously he hates it but some times he's better than others and doesn't try so hard to get away. And he gets a small treat after I put him down at times. Is this a good idea? To just pick him up a couple of times and put him back down? I don't think holding him for long periods of times is a good idea but I'm not sure so any advice is welcome! Thanks!

That is the recommended routine; I however never got anywhere with it so now I've given in and simply recruit my boyfriend to help restrain the beast when it's nail clipping time. I think it takes a certain personality to tolerate handling, some rabbits naturally have it and some just don't. Hopefully you are luckier than I am!

I think you have the right idea with the treats. That's what seems to have helped with my rabbits. It took a long time, but they are 2 years old now and are a lot easier to pick up an hold than they were at the 3 month stage. They still aren't snuggle bunnies, but they don't try to immediately dive out of my arms anymore.

I had a rabbit once who when I picked him up for the first time scratched my chest to pieces, and he never really loved being held, even after I tamed him if you held him too long he would start biting you. But from that experiance I learned quite a few helpful tricks to get rabbits to tolerate being held. First of all give support to all of their feet, when you hold them either put your hands under his/her feet or hold them with their feet aginst your chest. Also do not pick them up by the scruff or the skin on thier back, that is too similar to the way that a hawk would pick them up for lunch. Instead try to pick them up behind the front legs (you may already pick him/her up that way, but just in case). Also if you cover their eyes that tends to help them to calm down, but don't force them to have their eyes covered, if they pull away just let them you'll only make it worse if you try to force them and they may bite you. Lastly hold him/her firmly, have a firm, but gentle grip. You most likely wil get hurt while doing this, in fact I am staring at a scar on the back of my hand as I'm writing this that I got from doing that very thing. But anyway good luck.

Thank you for your replies everyone :) I do support his back legs especially as much as possible, I'm terrified of him injuring himself in my arms by kicking too hard or by me not supporting his back the right way. In the months that I've had him so far, I've read and watched every video about how to properly pick up a rabbit so I think im good with that :)

And as for the scratches, I've got lots on my chest already! I'll never wear a tank top to pick him up again lol. I'll stick to sweatshirts to make sure he doesn't scratch my whole body up :p

Treats are motivators, I've had the Baron since October, and although some may disagree I found his favorite treat is mini wheat square cereal. He will follow all over the house when I am holding the bag! I don't give him too much, he gets the poops and we both suffer.

Find a food item that is right for him. If you are not sure consult your vet. I have him jumping into my lap when he sees it. Make sure he knows the right conditions are met and you won't have any issues. Actually I do have a different issue, he won't leave me alone now when I am snacking at the PC.

When friends or family stop by, I tell them I can place him on their open lap, but when he leaves allow him to leave. House rules at my place is never pick up or move the Baron.

Treats are motivators,
Find a food item that is right for him.
A treat is a good idea and almost every rabbit I have ever had has loved bananas, but don't give him/her too much since bananas are very sugary and such.

His vet said, the shredded wheat is ok for him. Unless I give him more than 2 or 3 per day. The additional vitamins a great, but too much vitamins are a bad thing.

I think everyone pretty much goes through this stage. Honestly i think it just takes time. Like most things, repetition is key if you just keep picking him up for a couple minutes everyday he will get more use to it. When it comes to nail clipping i just wrap my rabbits in a towel and have someone hold it while i clip their claws. I have had my rabbit for 1 1/2 years and he was pretty much wild when i got him and now he doesn't run when he hears my voice and doesn't try to jump when when i hold him. Best of luck!

These things take time. My mini rex Melvin would freak out every time I picked him up 1 year ago, but after several months of me consistently picking him up for a minute and snuggling him, he came around. Now he even demands I pick him up and cuddle him every day and purrs loudly in my arms.
On the other hand, my recently adopted dutch Laverne will tolerate it to some extent but she thumps loudly every time I put her down and she runs into the corner and looks annoyed for several minutes.
Thus, I think consistency is key here. It's a good idea to gently pick bunny up at least once a day for at least one minute and gently pet bunny and say nice things in a nice voice. I like to give lots of kisses too. In my opinion, bunny needs to feel secure and loved while in your arms in order to tolerate being picked up.

Thanks everyone, I'm being super patient with him :) he's already shown some improvement which is good so hopefully with a few more months of trying he'll be okay :)

I wanted to ask if this was a good idea... We travel back and forth from my college to house and I hold him in the car and stroke his head and he stays much better than in my house probably because he's not as comfortable in the car (he's extremely relaxed though, he lays out in the back seat) ...is this helpful to the process of him being held?

Patience, repetition, and consistency. Every one's ideas are good--keep in mind that you are the ALPHA and are training you're bunny. So many let the bunny train them. The more they are handled the easier it becomes. Most of mine don't like it, but they KNOW they have to humor me and tolerate. Makes nail trimming and grooming much easier.

Thanks! I'll keep practicing :)

What about holding him while we are in the car? He's very comfortable during car rides so I've been holding him for a few minutes when we drive. I'll sit in the backseat with him and he doesn't try so hard to get away like he does in my house. Is this okay to do? Will it help?

So, I usually don't take my rabbit out of the box during car rides. I put my hand in to scratch his head regularly and let him poke his head out when he gets curious. I'm concerned that something sudden could happen and send him about the car potentially creating an unsafe situation.
However, I'm kind of a weirdo and am overprotective of my rabbit.
My friend who has a mini van travelled across the U.S. with his rabbit. It was really cool how he did it.
He set up a rabbit-proof play area in the back of the van and the rabbit stayed on the back seat and looked out the window every day. There was a litter box and a hidey hole under the seat and toys and everything!
So it can be done, but you should use caution and think about where bunny can go to feel safe if something scares them during the ride.

Wow that's interesting! Very cool what your friend did :)
Our car rides are only at most 2 hours and 45 minutes with stops. Without, it's usually 2 hours 15 minutes and it's a straight highway with no bumps or turns so I feel safe having him out in the backseat as long as someone is sitting back there with him. So usually, if I'm driving my boyfriend sits in the backseat with him and then we will switch. He is much more comfortable out on the seat than in his carrier (he's a nosey curious little thing and likes to be involved in all the action!) I do make sure he's against the seats though, and I sit with my legs stretched out so he is secure on all sides :) I also put a towel over the seat to keep him from sliding so I'm pretty confident he's fine.
I take advantage of the fact that he allows me to cuddle him in the car though, he's just so cute I can't help it:) do you or anyone else think that holding him in the car will help with him being held in general?

This is baci just relaxing in the car :) I'm really happy that he's so easy-going and doesn't mind car rides

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back