Mother Rabbit W/ Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belleshadow

Reaction score
One of my Rabbits just had a litter for the first time and she doesn't usually get fed anything but pellets and I gave her a few greens and she got diarrhea. I didn't give her very much, just a little bit of milk and a bit of banana, and I've never had a rabbit get diarrhea so fast, could she have gotten from anything else? Does it have anything to do with the litter she just had, or could it affect her litter?

If she's only been on pellets then, yes, it can happen. If she isn't used to it and just had a litter I would wait to make changes to her diet until the kits are weaned and not in the cage with her.

You gave her milk and banana?
Please dont....
She needs pellets and hay and if shes never had greens (milk is dairy and im not sure why she was given that ar all... and banana is a sugary fruit neither of which are greens) then wait until shes done with babies before SLOWLY intorducing them.

I think it was probably the milk. Hopefully once it runs through her system and is out she will be ok. ....But Diarrhoea is usually considered a medical emergency in rabbits. So, if she doesn't go back to normal quickly or stops eating you should take her to a vet.

With Diarrhoea in rabbits death from dehydration can occur. Diarrhoea is very dehydrating and producing milk for kits is very dehydrating so make sure she is drinking lots of fluids. It might be a good idea to get some pedialyte/electrolyte solution and add it to her water and give it to her in a bowl. Also, plenty of hay to keep her system clear, plus her regular pellets.

Thank you for the advice. The reason I gave her the milk was that I read in a book one time that milk was good for rabbits, I can't remember how exactly it was supposed to help, something to do with making them fatter I think, but he was talking about giving milk to a mother rabbit and her kits, I think he meant it mainly for when the kits were coming out of the box and were being weaned, just as really a supliment for the kits. But anyway, the reason I gave her the banana was to distract her while I looked at her kits. By the way, if she caught me looking at her kits, is that a bad thing? I mean will she abandon the kits because she caught me looking at them?

By the way Squid Pop, what is pedialyte/electrolyte solution, I think that it would be a good idea to give her that, but do you know how to get (or make) some?

Never give milk to a rabbit full stop! If you would like to make her fat try supplementing with Organic whole grain rolled oats and introduce slowly. Hay, Hay and some more hay is very important and ad-lib pellets for a lactating Doe. Dairy causes Gastro-intestinal upsets and diarrohea is very fatal in rabbits. Best of luck

There are a lot of electrolyte recipes on the internet, I like this one. I don't put quite as much sugar in.

1 quart of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of table salt
¼ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
In any case, the general idea is to enhance the water with sodium, potassium, and natural sugar, which will help your body to absorb water more quickly.

She won't abandon her babies if you look at them, or handle them. As long as you have been feeding her, petting her, and getting your scent on her and her food, she will not be bothered that you touched her babies. I check my babies starting from the day they are born and I check them three times a day and none of my does have ever abandoned their babies. I know a lot of old time breeders also say its ok to handle them too.

Thank you for the recipe and the advice, I have not given her any milk since she got diarrhea. Also for the recipe, I don't have any sugar at the moment do you think I could use some sort of fruit juice or powdered sugar? Thanks agian, I just checked on the kits and they are nice and healthy, if you all would like I could post a picture of them when they get older.

I think fruit juice would be fine. I would love to see pictures of babies <3

Latest posts

Back