Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allieeggert

Reaction score
Hi I just got a new baby Rex rabbit she is 8 weeks old. I wasn't planning on getting her nurtured(is that ok to not get her nurtured?) she likes to sneak under furniture or in dark corners and chew up the carpet and on the side of the wall so I have set up a barrier around everything but it made my room a mess, how do I teach her not to do that? I am a brand new bunny owner and I love her but I just want to make sure she's happy without destroying my room. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1429028456.987357.jpg

you can not neuter if you want but be aware that Female rabbits who are not has a higher chance for Cancer. And as for teaching her not to go in certain places A sharp clap of your hands with a no should work but it will take time to teach her, also bunnies are prey animals and like places to hide I would suggest providing her a hiding place as well.

I think you should do some serious research on your new pet so you know what you are getting into. Buy a good rabbit care book or visit the house rabbit society website and start reading. Good luck!

She's a youngster and will get into trouble. Restrict her from going where you can't supervise her and where she can get to things she shouldn't. Give her some wood chew toys to help, but she's just being a young bunny.

You could get her a chew toy, rabbits naturally chew on wood since thier teeth never stop growing. It's gonna be a lot of money, but you can nueter her, and it's probably a good idea because of the cancer thing.

Rabbits that are young like yours aren't going to train (litter train) as easily or as consistently as spayed rabbits (or may lose training with the onset of hormones). They also are going to keep exploring places to dig, chew, and hide in. The idea of clapping only temporarily stops a particular behavior in the moment. Once you aren't there to watch, they will happily go back to their mischief. Rabbits just are not inclined to "please" their human with good behavior the way, say, a dog might.

The best way to avoid destruction of your home, is to block, barricade or remove whatever needs protecting. Bunny proofing is a must, but it looks like you are already on your way to doing that. Chew toys, cardboard boxes, and plenty of hay are all distractions that may help divert bunny's attention for short spurts of time. But barricading, etc is the most effective.

Over the next several weeks she may become more destructive as her hormones become more apparent. This is often the time when frustrated owners decide that fixing would be a good idea. Fixing is done as much for behavior as it is for health. Female rabbits are prone to early cancer when not spayed.

I agree with stevesmum about doing lots of research. As long as I've been keeping rabbits, I still find myself learning new things about them. There is much to learn about these complex cuties.

For a place to get started on the basics plus, might I suggest you take a look around my site by clicking here.

Someone told me that when their rabbit chewed on baseboards and things he wasn't supposed to the she said no and clapped and put him back in his cage. The rabbit eventually learned that if it chewed on things it wasn't supposed to it got put back in its cage so it stopped. I think this would only work if you spent a lot of time watching and waiting to catch her in the act though.

I personally like the exercise pen set up, so bunny can't get to the furniture or the electrical cords. A bigger x pen than this would be nicer though.

14252_042319_370000001.jpg

My bunny constantly feels the need to lick me, it's cute but now it is getting weird do other bunnies tend to do this as often?

Latest posts

Back