won't eat much expensive hay but loves the cheap stuff :\

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara1991

Reaction score
I sent my boyfriend to the pet shop for more hay for Dolly and when he got there he asked for the stuff we usually get and the lady said they couldn't stock it because no one will pay £8 odd a bag for it so she sold him a bag of meddow hay for £1.80 and she loves it :\ is it okay for her to have meddow hay rather than Timothy if that's what she likes? It looks pretty green, it isn't particularly dusty and smells okay. It looks like its been taken from the big bales you get for horses but portioned out into plastic bags. The other hay looks loads nicer to me but clearly dolly doesn't agree lol.

I've fed my rabbits bales before and they love them! Depending on the quality of the bale sometimes they eat it faster than the oxbow I buy. If it doesn't seem dusty and it isn't moldy, and looks fresh enough then it should be okay. Just keep an eye on quality!

Thanks :) its seems fine just not as nice as the stuff we usually get her. I might start mixing them together and save myself some money :)

Meadow hay is great :) It's usually just a mix of grasses instead of just a single grass type. Bandit loves it, we don't have timothy here and I don't like using oaten or wheaten because of the need to separate out all the seed heads, so meadow is preferred.

Where I am I can only get meadow hay. My rabbit have done really well on the meadow hay despite how it looks. I think as long as its fresh and it smells good its good for rabbits.

timothy is just a grass hay... and that's what is best for rabbits. Feed them a good quality grass hay regardless of the type. :)

Any grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, brome, coastal, bermuda, oat, wheat, barley, etc.) should be fine for a rabbit.
A feed store near me will break up bales of hay and sell them a few flakes to a bag. It's usually much cheaper than the hay marketed to rabbits that comes in tiny bags and usually less dusty too. A number of the rabbit rescues in my area will do the same thing and sell the hay as part of their fundraising efforts (many rabbit owners either can't or just don't want to store a whole bale of hay in their homes)

Latest posts

Back