Oh No!!! Help! Peeing glue!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocoa

Cocoa's Mamma
Reaction score
My bunny was leaving sticky poops around and when I picked them up, I'd get a sticky white residue on my fingers. So I pulled out her litter box and there's a big pile of poops with what looks like school glue all around it. Then I picked her up and her bottom was covered in a patty of hay, glue, and turds.

I cleaned it off of her (it wasn't easy) and called 6 vets. Nobody is available tonight that can help me out including the 24 hour vet clinic. And to top it off, we are going away tomorrow. :(

We cleaned out the cage and gave her new water yesterday. We just checked and the water bottle is still full. So she's not drinking.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Holland Lop Female
10/3/2012
Not Spayed
3'6oz
Was treated for a bladder infection 3/4/15 and we only did 6 or so days of the 14 day treatment because she wasn't drinking AT ALL. Despite that, she seemed better. No more peeing all over, no more urine scald, started eating and drinking like normal and gained back the 7 oz she had lost.

photo (58).jpg

If you didn't finish the treatment then the infection could've come back, and the problem may now be that the same medication used last time won't work now. It's important to finish out antibiotic treatment or the bacteria can build up resistance. If she won't drink then find ways to entice her to drink by adding a little juice to sweeten it. Failing that, syringe it into her.

:nerves1 That doesn't look good. I think you should syringe as much electrolyte fluids into as you can, not sure how big she is but 15ml is a tablespoon. So a couple of table spoons of fluid to start with and then 10-15ml every 3-4 hours. Until you get her to the vet. If she isn't drinking she will dehydrate and everything will shut down.

Here's a recipe for home made electrolyte solution.
Sugar Water
WebMD has a similar recipe, but recommends using sugar instead of the agave nectar.

1 quart of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of table salt
¼ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
In any case, the general idea is to enhance the water with sodium, potassium, and natural sugar, which will help your body to absorb water more quickly.

It looks to me like either the infection has returned or your rabbit is suffering from bladder sludge, or both. Your vet can do a urinalysis to check if she has another UTI, and an xray to check for bladder sludge. If it is a recurrence of the infection, then your vet can try a different antibiotic this time, to try and avoid the stomach upset occurring. But I would suspect that it is bladder sludge, and it may have lead to the UTI occurring. If it is bladder sludge, your vet may need to flush the bladder, then lots of fluids and a change of diet may be needed to help control the condition.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

What an awful day. My son woke up sick so I had to keep him home from school. While he's running to the bathroom constantly, I'm calling vet after vet trying again to find an exotic pet vet that is working this am since we are going out of town today.

Finally get an appointment after the 5th call. Spent 4 hours at the vet. The white stuff is puss and there is more and more of it. Yesterday it was white, today it has a pinkish tinge (blood?). My poor buns has a serious infection. The vet isn't sure if it is in her uterus (that's his suspicion) or her bladder. They gave her an IV to get fluids in her and gave her a new antibiotic & probiotic course of meds.

4 months ago if you told me I would get a bunny, fall in love, and then cry in the vets office over her health, I never would have believed you. Hoping this treatment works.

What an awful day. My son woke up sick so I had to keep him home from school. While he's running to the bathroom constantly, I'm calling vet after vet trying again to find an exotic pet vet that is working this am since we are going out of town today.

Finally get an appointment after the 5th call. Spent 4 hours at the vet. The white stuff is puss and there is more and more of it. Yesterday it was white, today it has a pinkish tinge (blood?). My poor buns has a serious infection. The vet isn't sure if it is in her uterus (that's his suspicion) or her bladder. They gave her an IV to get fluids in her and gave her a new antibiotic & probiotic course of meds.

4 months ago if you told me I would get a bunny, fall in love, and then cry in the vets office over her health, I never would have believed you. Hoping this treatment works.

Praying, because I know exactly how you feel!

So sorry it's been a bad day for you. I'm glad the vet found out what was wrong with your bun and she's now on meds. I hope this antibiotic works better than the last one and hope this infection clears up well.

Rabbits do have a way of wrapping us around their little paws. It's hard not to fall in love with them. Best of wishes to you and your little bun, and please keep us updated on how she's doing.

So upset and so torn! She was doing better on the antibiotics and a couple of days ago the puss started back again. Spoke to the vet this morning and he seems to think that even if she were well enough for a spay at this point, the infection is likely in her kidneys already. He said that he can't tell me what to do, but given her history, we could spend $1,000 trying to save her and she could still die. He said she could also develop uterine stump infection after the spay.
She almost always has some puss leaking out of her genitals. Sometimes she pees out a puddle of it. She doesn't seem like she's in pain but she seems more tired than she used to.
We have another bunny and are somewhat concerned about the infection contaminating her but the vet said she's already been exposed so no use separating them now.
I'm so torn. Basically, she's not getting better. I hate to wait till she is really suffering but my heart is breaking. She slept in my arms for an hour tonight and then spent 15 minutes licking my face. How do you decide it's in your bun's best interest to put them to sleep? I know what the vet said... I know she's not gonna get better... but deep down, I keep thinking, I'm a hateful awful person.
I don't know what to do. Crying... I got that down pat. :(

I'm so sorry. I can't give any medical advice, but just wanted to say I understand the tough spot you are in. I'm sure you will make the right decision for your bunny. Maybe a second opinion would be worth a shot, if realistic?

What antibiotic did the vet use? If it was Baytril/enroflaxin I would be tempted to ask the vet to bring out the big guns and treat with injectable bycillin and azithromax at the same time. Something really strong like that would be dangerous but people have used that combination before and got good results. I would only try it if it was a last result though.

Latest posts

Back