Bonding baby with adult rabbit question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocoa

Cocoa's Mamma
Reaction score
So my two buns have been living side by side (in separate cages) for 3 weeks now. We've been getting them together a little here and there over the past couple of weeks and they've been doing great!

As we increase the amount of time they spend together, I'm running into an issue. Willow eats food for young rabbits (Alfafa Hay & pellets) and Cocoa eats food for older rabbits (Timothy Hay & veggies with some pellets) and I've read that Alfalfa is bad for adult rabbits and Timothy Hay and veggies are bad for young rabbits... So, how do I have them spend more than an hour or two together without worrying about their diets?

Willow is roughly 12 weeks old and Cocoa is 2 1/2 years old. Have any of you dealt with this?

cocoa and willow 2.jpg

cocoa and willow copy.jpg

Are they both fixed? They have to be if they're living together, to eliminate the risk of hormonal aggressive behaviour. Especially as the little one will be hitting puberty very soon and the new hormones can cause unpredictable personality changes.

Getting back to your question, it's okay for them to share timothy hay. There's actually no need for a young bun to have both alfalfa hay AND pellets, it's fine to feed alfalfa pellets and timothy hay or the other way around. There is no type of hay that is bad for a baby. So when they're out, if you wish to provide them with a bowl of timothy hay or even timothy pellets to share, go right ahead. :)

I totally agree with whiskeylolipop. It is a wasted effort to "bond" a baby with an adult. The likely outcome is that when baby's hormones kick in, fighting can ensue. And when baby gets fixed and comes back from the vet, the older rabbit will see the other one as a brand new rabbit.

True bonding doesn't really start until after they are both fixed.

Here on the forum, we've seen this happen time and again where someone attempts to bond a baby with adult. They almost always get along initially -- until those hormones activate.

As whiskey mentioned, the 3 month old will begin becoming hormonal in the next several weeks. It would be best to keep them apart until she is fixed and healed.

Latest posts

Back