New bunny and litter box training...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnidone

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm completely new to bunny ownership. I got a new bunny last week and am trying to litterbox train her.

She is about a year old and is unspayed, and as I understand, she has had at least one litter, possibly two. I will spay her in the next month or two. (I have to drive 2 hours to the vet to do it...)

We have bonded fairly well, when I hold her, she purrs and lets me pet her. She comes to me, and nudges me to pet her.

I have her in my bathroom right now and she is good about peeing in the litterbox. However, she puts her poops everywhere, including the litterbox.

I don't know what to do. Do I need to put her in a confined space until she poops only in the litterbox?

I think dropping poops is a territorial thing. That's how they mark their territory and since she isn't spayed yet, she is more likely to do this than if she were spayed. I've heard that even spaying/neutering doesn't completely stop the droppings but my bunny isn't neutered yet and he only poops in the box. Try putting her hay/food in her box, maybe she'll only poop while munching on hay (apparently rabbits like to do this, and my rabbit does this too)

But like I said, droppings are her way of marking her territory so it might not stop. Hope this helps!

Poo marking is most common in the early weeks in a new space. It typically tapers off as time goes by but usually doesn't completely go away. It is only the rare bunny that is 100% with poos in the litter box.

Considering that it has only been a week, she is still declaring the bathroom as "her" space. Once she's spayed, that may decrease. However, if you move her to a different location, expect some territorial poo marking again -- at least for a little while.

Latest posts

Back