Need tips for bunny bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy

Reaction score
I know somewhere on here i found a good read on bonding, i can't find it now. But i would like some good experienced opinions on my individual situation.

I have a 10 month old neutered male and a 1 year and a half old spayed female.

they have been sniffing through the pen without signs of aggression a couple times now, so we let them out tonight to meet for the first time without a cage between them. No aggression or grunting! which i know is a great sign BUT....

my boy just wanted to furiously hump my girl (first time I've ever seen a rabbit penis). She seemed ok with him mounting her- she kind of flattened down and took it for a second before hopping away- but i stopped him after a few seconds because I've read that it can quickly go bad if you don't stop the mounting (bunny being mounted can get mad or irritated with the mounting bun).

he was neutered almost two weeks ago so I'm thinking maybe his hormones are still making him crazy about her? but i wanted to know if anyone had any tips or articles i could read into that might help me out.

any input would be appreciated! thanks! :bunny18

I literally was just going through this! My bunnies both got fixed and when they met he wouldn't stop humping her. They also met about two weeks after his neuter, and for about 2 weeks after meeting I would have them hangout on a daily basis and he was still humping her like crazy. Just like yours, no aggression or anything.
Some things that I tried and I believe helped was taking them both outside on their harnesses together, I put them in a box with a blankie together, held them on my lap at the same time together etc but I'd say about 9 times out of 10 I would just let him chase her and have them meet in a neutral place. Slowly the humping began to decrease and they would groom each other and snuggle. A few days ago they both had to go to the vet and I put them in the same carrier. After they came home from the vet a few days ago he has only humped a few times. However I can tell they like each other because they have been binkying together like crazy! It has been about three and a half weeks since they first met and last night was their first night in a cage together- and they loved it!! I woke up a few times to check on them and they were cuddled up together.
From my experience I would just be patient. It is most likely hormones that need to die down- over time they will even though it might seem as though he will be this way forever haha!
Good luck with your buns! Such an awesome experience to see them so happy cuddling a fellow bun friend.

Hormones can take 4-8 weeks to fully dissipate after a neuter. Personally, I think it is best to wait a couple more weeks at least before bonding. The last thing you want is those hormones to mess things up. If they get into a fight, it could prevent bonding. The safest route would be to wait a little longer.

So it's week two and the humping has stopped! They are both super in love and havent had a humping episode in 3 days! I'm so happy!
:bunny18

Yay! Congrats!
They tend to do things at their own pace, glad your two are now bonded!

Latest posts

Back