not tolerating fresh food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsten J

Reaction score
My french angora rabbit loved herbs when he was a kit - for about 5 months or so. Then he stopped eating them and wouldn't touch them again. For the next 2 years, he had a healthy diet of vegetables, straw and a small amount of pellets twice a day. In recent months, however, he seems unable to tolerate most vegetables or fresh leaves anymore. If he eats vegetables, even cucumber or cauliflower that used to be his favorites, he gets diarrhoea or at best a dirty, sticky bottom that has to be washed. He seems to know this and will only eat vegetables now if he's really hungry, but he begs me for pellets, and he still eats his straw. Are pellets and straw alone a healthy diet? Why can he no longer tolerate herbs and vegetables, which he used to love and eat easily? The smell of fruit makes him crazy, so I still give him a small piece once a week. Any more also makes his stomach run. Any ideas?

He'll be fine on Pellets and Straw. (he's still alive right?). :)

If his digestive situation continues to worsen I'd get him in to the vet.

It's erogrostis hay - I'm not sure if that's the same as Timothy hay. I do try and vary the hay when I see different kinds, but that's the main one.

Looks fine to me. Angoras need a good amount of protein in their diet to help grow healthy wool and also need the hay to reduce impactions. Unlike most pet rabbit websites say rabbits can live long healthy lives without veggies. So if they give him nasty stool don't feel bad about not giving it

I know that food intolerance in dogs can just appear out of nowhere. Maybe this is the same with rabbits

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back