Quigley got injured....need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyla

Reaction score
My husband and I just returned from vacation last night to find that Quigley wouldnt let me anywhere near him. My husband noticed tufts of fur sticking out at a funny angle on his back end. I had to watch him for a little while, but he finally turned around and he had a huge 1 inch by 2 inch patch of fur and skin missing! My father had been watching him and our other pets over the past week and a half and he had called me on the second day and said that Quigley had gotten loose. He seemed concerned about the noised Quigley had made when he tried catching him (all the growling) but never mentioned his injury. My father is not the most observant man in the world and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but is there any way he could have not noticed?! It looked all dried up and mostly healed except around the edges.I wrapped him up in a towel and put bag balm on the tender spots but I think I only made it worse! He licked it all off and now its red and sore again. Should I just leave it be to dry up again? Ive been feeding him carrots and other treats to try and convince him that I wont hurt him and that Im so sorry. I feel terrible my little guy got hurt!

If it's as bad as you say and he seems like it's hurting him I would advise you take him to your rabbit vet.

Of course its hurting him. I couldnt imagine that it isnt, but his behavior is more that hes pissed off. I made the mistake once of losing my temper when I couldnt wrangle him to get him back into his cage and I chased him around the house. He didnt "talk" to me for a week. His behavior now is very similar to that. I planned on calling the vet at some point today but because it wasnt an emergency, I figured Id ask for advice here. Im the one that feels awful because I thought my father could handle babysitting and obviously I was wrong.

keeping it clean and dry is all you need to do. If it gets infected get some antibiotic ointment on him, but basically he just needs to get better and get over his "annoyance" with you. :)

So the vet advised the same thing - to let the area dry out and watch for infection. He said that the fur may never grow back :( Poor bunny. THis morning Quigley let me scratch behind his ears through the cage for a couple seconds before runny away again. Its progress. I tried getting a picture of his wound, but he will NOT stay facing away from me long enough to get a good picture, and his fur is so long that it covers most of it. :/ Its a challenge keeping an eye on it while earning his trust back and not messing too much with the thing that is causing him pain. We're getting there though.

Poor Quigley, it must have hurt pretty bad for his hair not to grow back :( but at least there's no infection so hopefully it will all heal up quickly.

Well it looks like were going back to the vet. I just checked his wound and hes chewed off most of his scab, making it larger, and its wet and weepy. Its not oozing and it still doesnt look infected but its definitely heading in that direction especially if he wont leave it alone. Hes going to need some type of cone or something. Im calling in the morning to see how soon I can get him in. Any advice on type of cones and making sure the darn thing stays on? I know how bunnies can be when it comes to wiggling out of things.

Latest posts

Back