Not pooping/eating very suddenly?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalacirep

Reaction score
So up until last night my bunny (almost 5 months old, holland lop) was eating and pooping normally, then I cleaned his litterbox, and when I woke up a few hours ago I noticed he hadn't pooped all night and he didn't seem to eat anything. I gave him his papaya treats and he ate that without a problem and I'm assuming he drank water because he has peed but he's not really eating. I gave him some parsley a bit ago and he ate that for a bit but he didn't gobble it all up like normal. He had no earlier symptoms of having GI, his poops were always normal sized, I brush him so there's no signs of hair in his poops and he always has alfalfa hay (I'm switching him to timothy in a couple of weeks).
How worried should I be?????

I would Highly suggest you take your bunny to a Rabbit Knowledgeable vet ASAP! It is VERY bad for a rabbit not to eat or poop for long periods of time.

He's back in his cage and he's eating his parsley and hay now and it's been about 10 hours since he pooped so I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if there's something I can try to get him to poop?

Have you started feeding him something new that might be affecting him? Is last night the last time he ate any pellets? We've had rabbits stop eating for a short period of time with no problem. If I find one of them hasn't eaten their pellets by the next day I push hay and a couple of other things in their bowl to entice them to eat. That usually gets them eating again.

We bought him new papaya treats yesterday and I noticed now on the ingredients that it has added colour in it, and he hasn't ate anything up until now that had added ingredients so I think I'm gonna go buy him new papaya now :/ I'm not sure if he ate pellets while I was asleep, it seemed like he may have. My mom hand fed him some hay so he ate that and I'm gonna go now and buy him timothy hay, maybe the extra finer will help?

If it's been 12 hours since he pooped, it's generally considered an emergency situation and needs to be seen by a vet. They usually give a gut stimulation med to help things move along. It's a great sign that he's still eating, but the lack of enthusiasm for it is also concerning.

In situations like this I really believe in extra hydration. So, I think it would be really good to puree his favourite fruit and mix it into a bowl of water for him, and mix in some electrolyte solution. There's several articles online that really stress hydration as a treatment for rabbits when their gut slowdown and I believe them. This is one of them.
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html
It is important to remember that enzymes of any kind (pineapple, papaya or pancreatic) do not dissolve hair. But the real keys are hydration of the stomach/cecal contents and getting the GIT moving again.

Latest posts

Back