Snowball passed away - WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
Sorry if I post in the wrong subforum, please feel free to move my post.
My dear Snowball has passed away. I suspect that cat got a hold of him (keeping in mind that cats carry bacteria that is deadly for rabbits) - terrible fault of mine. Other than that, is it possible that he died of a natural cause that would leave him looking like this?
He was 3 years old, neutered, and didn't seem to have much problems. The only thing - he was acting like he was getting old, often freezing as if he was sleeping (not lethargic or anything, just resting). He was housed with some younger rabbits, and he didn't like competition for food. Compared to them, he was kind of slow, that's what I mean by saying "getting old".
You are greatly missed Snowy. I love you. Binky free.

This is sad. Very sorry for your loss. Are there puncture wounds from the cats teeth? Its curious that he looks like he was bleeding from the nose as if he haemorrhaged. Sometimes extreme hot temperatures can cause rabbits to bleed from the nose and die. I suppose it could be a cat but I think it could be other things as well.

Thank you, squidpop and pani.
I don't know about punctured wounds, I don't think he had any. I was thinking about scratches that cat would make. It looks to me that his lip was ripped a little bit but I am not sure again. The weather was very comfortable that day - sunshine, low 70s, it was just a very good day. Interesting but other rabbits weren't freaked out as I would expect them to be if cat was visiting. They almost ran to me as if they wanted a treat. They were calm and behaved ordinary.
I can see that he was laying on that side of his head where the open eye is because his head fur is messed up. I thought it could be an indication that he didn't die instantly. Another eye was buried in his fur, and completely not seen. When I saw his open eye, I immediately thought it was a cat who damaged his eye.
I understand that it's very hard to say from the pictures why he died. I was just wondering if any internal conditions can make a rabbit bleed on the face and die like this. I will ask the vet next time we go.
thank you guys
I am terribly sorry Snowy that I wasn't there for you.

The only condition I know of that causes hemorrhaging like that is calicivirus, but I'm sure there's other things that could cause it. Might be worth taking in your others for a check-up in case it was something contagious.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

The only condition I know of that causes hemorrhaging like that is calicivirus, but I'm sure there's other things that could cause it. Might be worth taking in your others for a check-up in case it was something contagious.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
they all seem to be doing fine. thank you. I will keep watching them and take them to the vet if I see anything suspicious. He passed away on March 15th, will be 2 weeks soon.
Lokin4AReason, thank you.

back to the possibility of cat attack. Would he die after receiving injuries like this? well, it's stupid to be asking, he did die.

Last edited:
doesn't look like cat damage.

If you have a three year old bunny acting "OLD" then something was wrong with bunny OR it was badly overweight.

Three year old bunnies should be active and curious. Given that your bunny looks overweight in one picture I would hazard a guess that something was wrong with him, and his death was just inevitable.

Sorry that you lost your bunny. I would give your cage a good scrub and check over your youngsters carefully to make sure nothing is wrong with them.

I thought Calici virus (RHD) didn't exist in the US. But they do say rabbits with the virus bleed from the nose.

RHD has occurred in the US but it is extremely rare. There have only been a few reported cases.

Just based on the photos and if that is the way you found him, it looks to me like a larger animal may have got a hold of his head and caused head trauma. Doubtful it would be a domestic cat as it wouldn't be big enough to inflict that type of damage. It is possible it may have been something else besides an animal that caused this, but besides some type of head trauma, there isn't much else that would cause bleeding from the mouth.

I'm sorry this has happened to your poor bun. Your other rabbits may be at risk too, so you may need to make changes to ensure your other rabbits will be safe.

thank you guys.
Snowball wasn't overweight. He was always on the small side for his breed (and compared to my other rabbits of the same breed). He would never eat more than he needed. I have another rabbit who is very interested in eating (and not interested in anything else), and I think it's a result of having been neutered at the early age (that's not Snowball). Snowball even had a chance to be a father when he was 7 month old. He appeared normal (not sick) in the morning of that day.
I think he was born to the parents who were siblings but I am not sure. I know genetically it's not good but he never had any health issues before (are problems supposed to show up during the whole life?) Often, when I bring veggies, I call: It's time to eat! and they all running to me, while Snowball can be sitting still until I give him a gentle push.
A larger animal like what? I can only think of a loose dog, but I think we would hear if dog broke in. I recently saw dead opossum who was ran over but not close to my house (I pretty much familiar with predators in the neighborhood and there are none right where I live). I think a predator would eat some flesh? We only have squirrels but I didn't think they are able to harm a rabbit. .
Anyway...whatever killed him, already killed him, and I can't change anything. It's a lesson and a reminder to take a good care of my other bunnies.

Latest posts

Back