Struggling when being put down on the ground\what is "medicated straw"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara1991

Reaction score
Hey, as some of you may know I'm new to rabbits and I have a couple of things I was hoping someone could help me :)
I am a bit worried because when ever I try and put her down she struggles and leaps out of my arms. I try to be as careful as I can, she is fine being picked up and held its just when I go to put her down again. Even when I keep hold of her in the exact same way and bend down she will struggle to get away as soon as she realises I'm going to put her down. I'm scared she is going to end up getting hurt :( I know it probably something I'm doing wrong, could anyone give me any tips on how to put her down properly?
Also I bought a bag of straw and then realised it was medicated with something. I haven't been using it because I wasn't really sure if it was safe if she ate some. Does anyone know if it is safe or if I should chuck it away?

my bunny chubb is the same way the reason I think mine gets jumpy or tries to get away when I set him down is because he don't feel safe....or feels like he is going to fall that is also what the lady said when I got him at 8 weeks old. he is the best rabbit I have ever had very calm and sweet

My bunnies struggle like that too. I always thought that is was because they were excited to run around or go back into the cage but I'm not sure.

When we have a rabbit that struggles to get away as soon as you try to set him down we just pick him right back up and try again. You might sit on the floor so she isn't so far from the floor if she does get loose, but if you just repeat this enough - and then reward her when she doesn't struggle - she'll figure out what she's not supposed to do.

It must say what the straw is medicated with. But I would not use this since giving medicine when it's not needed, especially if the type of medicine is not known, probably isn't a good idea. Also, rabbits should be fed hay, not straw. Timothy hay for adults and alfalfa for baby bunnies.

Thanks for the advise I will try that with her :)
It says on the bag its to reduce the spread of infection but it doesn't say what its "medicated" with, I will throw it away thanks. I'm not feeding her the straw, she gets as much hay as she wants, I use the straw for bedding but I know with my horses they sometimes eat a bit of straw so I was worried she might do the same.
Thanks everyone :)

Covering the eyes usually makes all the difference. I also will set them down backwards as well so they can't see that they are being put down. Like said before I will hold a bunny pretty securely and before I put them on all fours on the ground if they start to struggle or move I will put them right back up to my chest and continue holding them. Usually after three or four attempts they stop struggling and I let them down all the way and then let them go. If you put them down and let them go when they struggle they won't learn a thing other than to struggle. The key is to not let go of them until they stop struggling.

Thanks :) still not got there yet but I have seen a bit of an improvement :) my hands arent quite as cut up as they were lol.
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read this and offer some advise :)

Back