My baby bunny died - please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mketa

Reaction score
Hi all, sitting here sobbing as I clean out the indoor hutch of our baby rabbit that died yesterday. Hoping somebody might be able to tell me what I did wrong as we only had her for 3 weeks. In the morning we noticed she was very sleepy and struggling to open her eyes, then she seemed to have a fit, scrambling her legs and throwing her head back. We picked her up, which calmed her but she then weed all over us (which was unusual as she was beautifully litter trained and never once had an accident). She had a few more fits and then died. It was awful. She was an indoor rabbit, but did go outside with the chickens in an area of about 50 square metres of grass and trees, for a few hours each day. The only thing I can think of is that there is a plum tree in the area, and 2 peach trees. I know that they are not great but would eating from them cause this? She was very loved and if we get another, don't want to make the same mistake.

If you do get another rabbit, you could consider keeping him/her inside. Until you are sure that an area is free of all dangerous plants or leaves (even ones that may blow in an area), then it is best to keep a rabbit inside.

I live in the desert where it is too hot outside for a rabbit. I house mine exclusively indoors. With a bunny-proofed room or series of rooms, a bunny can get plenty of (safe) exercise. My site has photos and videos of rabbits being housed indoors like this. Perhaps it will give you ideas for the future as well.

Hello, she was mostly indoors, she only went outside for a run around for a few hours a day - and she loved it. She could really run without slipping on the floor like she did inside, she enjoyed rolling in the grass and lying in the sun. The rest of the time she was indoors. I pulled up all the ivy as I knew that was poisonous, but I couldn't pull up the trees, I thought that if she ate them she may feel unwell, I didn't know they could kill her. I don't think there was anything else dangerous there, from the list I found.

I can't speak from personal experience but I understand that chickens are pretty unsanitary. If your young bunny was in direct contact she may have picked up something from them. Three months is still young and their immune system is still developing. Just a thought.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your bunny. There can be things like hemlock and deadly night shade- small weeds that are poisonous, she might have gotten. But most bunnies won't actually touch these weeds if they come in contact with them. Bunnies are very fragile little animals and for some reason they seem to suddenly die for unknown reasons, or without symptoms, way more than kittens or puppies. Its very sad when it happens. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like we will never know what caused it. So sad, and feeling so guilty we didn't protect her well enough.

chickens and rabbits are generally not a good mix. Chickens can make rabbits sick.

If she was pooing and peeing regularly then you might never know why she died.

Sorry for your loss.

If you replace her, I would advise you to clean and disinfect her cage really well.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Most stone fruits contain some degree of poison in seed and in general are not good for bunnies. Or it ma just be something that happened thru no fault of yours. You could always block off or fence in an area outside to have more control of the environ. We have had some make it almost to 16 and others way less--one minute they were fine and the next they were gone. If your bunny is acting out of sorts for more than just a short while a vet visit is definitely in order. Rest in peace little girl and binky free.

Thanks for your help. It was pretty traumatic, particularly for my 3 daughters, so at this stage we might avoid another, until we feel up to trying again. Dogs and cats are much easier!

Back