Our couch is now her litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowballs_parents

Reaction score
We have the cutest new zealand lob ear bunny. When she's in her cage, she does a great job of peeing in her litter box in the corner. When she's out of the cage, she has determined that our couch is her litter box. Without fail, when she jumps up on the couch, it's because she's about to pee.

We put her living room litter box on the couch but she'll pee next to the box. If we can spot her in time, we'll pick her up and put her in her litter box and she'll pee in it. But she doesn't do it on her own.

My question: how do you train a rabbit to change where she pees? We'd love to put her litter box in the corner of the living room and she just going there instead of having to put the litter box on the couch.

Thoughts? Thanks!

This happened with my bunny Mimzy. He would pee on it before he got neuter and after.
I read up and it said something like he's trying to "take the couch as his own" since he see's the couch as the humans place. There's articles on it.
I just don't let him on it anymore. I read there's snappers you can get which startle the rabbit if he tries to go onto the couch which will discourage him from going near it again. Or you're suppose to screech or yell no and put him off of the couch once he does it. Or put him back in his cage if that doesn't work.

You could use an X pen to let her have an area outside of her cage and train her to go into the litter box outside of her cage. Slowly make the area bigger if she keeps using the box. If using the box is not a problem but she will choose the couch when she can, then use the X pen to block off the couch so the only place to go outside of her cage is the litterbox?

I had the same issue. Steve would pee on the couch almost every time he hopped up there. Nothing worked. Until we bought a new couch. Now he still hops up but has never peed on it. We've had it almost a year. I think he peed on the old one because we had a bunny who would pee on it when she was sick, so maybe steve was trying to mark it as his own. It's very frustrating I know.

I'm having the same problem with my new bunny. He covers the couch with bunny berries, and it's his favorite place to pee, too. I was just attributing it to him being a baby, but when he's on the floor, he'll only drop an occasional berry. He has a litter box in his cage, and he seems to be pretty good about peeing in it, but he leaves his little poops scattered around everywhere except for where he sleeps. I've put his litterbox on the couch when he's up there in the hopes that he'll at least pee in the box, but he totally ignores it.

Mine is still too young to neuter, so I guess I have to just live with it for now and hope that it's something that will correct itself once he's fixed.

I have had the same problem with mine. I got a giant flat plastic bin and made it into a giant potty dish for the couch. Now I will start putting smaller ones there and hope it has taken. I bought him a fuzzy bed for the couch, big mistake, he would jump out of the potty dish, into the bed and then pee there. Now the bed is gone and he is using the potty dish consistently. But he doesn't potty anywhere but his potty dishes on the couch and in his cage so I choose to consider it OK.

Im pretty sure my new bun is doing the same thing but instead he likes to pee... ON MY BED. ugh, its so frustrating since i don't have much extra bedding and my bed is on the floor(just a mattress) and very accessible to him. he's done it twice in the same spot even after i cleaned with a strong deodorizer. how do i stop this?
I've tried catching him in the act, saying a firm "NO" and banishing him to his cage with the litter box, but it still happens. last time it was on my pillow. I really can't have this happening all the time. especially since i don't own a washer. and theres no way a litter box is going to stay on my bed where i sleep.

i have the same problem!
i have his litter box on the couch now and he uses it (thankfully) but not before he just completely destroyed my couch.. -_-
i now have a shower curtain on the couch and placed a couch cover over it

i want to change the place of his box but im not sure how to go about it, hes so trained to that spot

We'd put cardboard boxes on the couch to make it impossible to get on and then put a pan in a covered box with holes in the sides so they could use it instead--worked out fine for us and they liked having the covered box as it was more of a hideaway/hangout for them.

its a bunny conspiracy ... I tell you all ( do they get on the net or something and talk to each other, while WE are sleeping ... ?? )

both of mine are doing it to my couch

I have to vacuum the place like everyday to get all the goods off of the ground.

about to be moving and will be put down my pinkie toe down w/ setting some new bunny standard(s)

I like the idea w/ the X pen ... I just guess that they have to much room and they do at what they feel ...

I ll be cornering mine in the corner w/ giving them room ( slowly ) and see at how it ll go

Latest posts

Back