What to expect post-GI Stadis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shesophist

Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit is currently recovering from GI stasis. Around valentines day he was on antibiotics for a week due to an UTI. I'm happy to say that he is recovering; he's energetic, eating and pooping on his own. However, I noticed that when he walks around, he sounds like a bag of water. Is this to be expected? It's not constant, and his tummy is loud, but do rabbits just sound like liquid sacs when they're recovering? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425679301.084350.jpg

I would talk to your vet about it right away. The loud gut sounds and sloshy belly may be due to gas and/or a disruption of the gut bacteria, and this can end up being dangerous if it isn't turned around asap.

Thanks for your reply. He has been on a probiotic called 'Florento', post-antibiotic. He's doing much, much better. The vet said to continue feeding him his high fibre greens, hay and to be patient. However, I was wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with the sloshy gut sounds, and how long they last. Nevertheless, I just snuggled him a bit between Binkies, not two seconds ago, and the sloshy gut sound was not present. :3 good news? (Photo taken mid-groom, a few seconds ago)
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425699862.029166.jpg

I have had a rabbit with loud gurgling in the stomach, that developed GI stasis, but sadly she didn't survive it. And any references to sloshy gut sounds(when not from just having had a drink of water) that I have found, has been associated with serious digestive issues. So it's not something I take lightly.

Glad your bun is doing well despite it. Hopefully the probiotics help get it sorted. The hay will help the most as it is usually the best thing to restore the microflora balance in the gut. Greens are good as well, though do be mindful that in a few rare cases they can sometimes cause digestive upset and/or gas for some rabbits. So just something to be aware of. One thing I would suggest is, if you feed any sugary/starchy foods, to hold off on those, as they will contribute to the gut imbalance issues.

Just like what J-bun said, I had a kit and a adult rabbit who had the same issue... Sadly they did not survive. They were showing the exact same symptoms your rabbit is showing don't just brush this off, make sure you get knows exactly what is happening etc.

I'm back from the vet. He did a check, turns out my bunny is healing up great. His gut flora is back to normal, his weight is normal, his teeth, ears, and fur are great too. I talked to him about the gut sloshing sounds, he spent some time listening to the bunny and he suspects that it's because the bunny chugs water occasionally... And that all we're hearing his the amount of water he drank. Aside from that, we have nothing to be worried about, this is a normal part of stasis recovery. Now we just check in every two weeks to check his weight.

Thanks for everyone's support, I appreciate everyone's help! Dr. Higgs does too View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425755384.535599.jpg

I would also keep checking his poo to make sure it is round and the right size for him, if it gets mushy it could be his gut flora is going off and you may need to cut down pellets and feed more hay, or if poos get smaller and smaller then he might be going into GI stasis again and I would feed more greens and encourage water drinking buy flavouring his water bowl with a little pureed fresh fruit to get him drinking more.

Latest posts

Back