Heat after Spaying!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandorly

Charlatan
Reaction score
My two bunnies, Biggi and Banzaii, are very good friends by now. They hang out and chill together almost all of the time. However, I've noticed in the last week or so, she has become really demanding - trying to get him to groom her all the time (when she's not incessantly grooming him!) and just following him everywhere to the point that it's annoying him.

I've noticed in the last two days that she'll do it so much, she provokes him into nipping her. At the moment, they're running around on top of the bed and between chill-out sessions together, he'll try and get a break on his own and lie down somewhere. She'll come over, stick her face under his chin and he'll get annoyed and start chasing her. If he's not paying attention to her, she'll give a thump and honk. When he comes over, even if he's nipping her, she'll present for him. He usually isn't too interested in that, although he has mounted her maybe three or four times in the last two days.

She was spayed all the way back as far as September. Could she be in heat again, or think she is? She's usually quite docile but when he gets agitated with her and nips her hard when chasing her, she'll punch him. I've kept them separated any time tensions have gotten too high. I've stress bonded them a few times in the washing basket, which has worked very well. I'm just trying to figure out what on earth brought on this extreme behaviour.

Bunnies are so flipping cute and weird!

if she's presenting (Lying down with butt up in the air) that's hormonal behaviour and makes me wonder if the neutering was done correctly.

if the neutering was done correctly she will not come "into heat" as all of that should be gone.

By the by.. rabbits don't come "into heat". They are always more or less receptive to a buck. ALWAYS able to be bred (just not always willing to do so).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to hear it's not just my cuties... I didn't suspect it was a problem with the spay because she's never had anything like that before. I reckon she's just being submissive to him. Although she did mount him the other day, so she could be planning on staging a coup!

I think we'll continue to keep them separated at night all the same, just so I can supervise the excitement. Biggi managed to get through the partition this morning and woke us at 7am after a late night in the pub - ugh!

I'm going to the vet for a check-up with the kitty tomorrow so I'll ask then too. For now, I'm just glad that it's not totally off-the-wall behaviour! It's nice to see them getting on again too. :)

Latest posts

Back