Trimming Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBunny

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm sure this has been covered before but I just wanted to ask for people's advice in regard to trimming nails, my buns only young but he will NOT sit sit.

I've watched lots of youtube vids, even the howcast one which though great, they used a placid rabbit and the lady on it has been doing it for years so it looks easy, but sadly that didn't work with Taco.

I fear it could become impossible, he hates being restrained (even though i'm not doing it hard at all) and he's got long fur on his feet so I can't even see the nails unless I really hold him still and try to get a good look at them. I also don't really want to have to pay the vets every single time he needs them trimmed.

So am i not restraining him enough. I've heard about the upside down trance thing with rabbits but i don't want to do that if it stresses them out. I also think my bun is too strong willed to go into that trance state lol...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Yeah I haven't tried it with two people yet. I fear it may end up the only way and he's going to be one angry bunny after. I tried the water but I think I may need a lot more than I thought lol the fur is really long!

If there's a rabbit rescue near you, sometimes they clip nails for a much smaller fee than a vet would. Otherwise you may have to use two people. Bandit hates it too, often I "assault" him while he's sprawled out, and I just go in and as quickly as I can, take the tip off 1 or 2 nails before leaving him be. I don't have extra hands to help, so it's about the best I can do, and I go for different nails each time. Otherwise, the local rescuer clips them for me for a very cheap fee of $5. :)

I wish i could be as quick as that even if it was to do one or two at a time, but his little furry feet are the problem. I would definitely cut the quick if i didn't really have a good look at the nails they're so hidden. Thanks for the rescue tip unfortunately there isn't one near us :/

Problem is as well i think they need trimming because they really hurt when he's on your lap and he's scratched me (by accident) quite badly. But there's not much white on his nails when i've had enough time to take a look.

Hi - if this is still relevant, sometimes I wrap my BIG bunny up like a burrito in a towel with only the paw that I want to trim the nails off of sticking out. This allows me to trim them myself :)

Other times, I have someone rub Loki's head to calm him down and we give him some nom noms to distract, while I trim the nails. :pet:

Try to do it in a spot with great lighting so you can maybe see the pinky flesh part and differentiate from the nail.

I'm a pet sitter as well and I trimmed the nails of a black lionhead and his nails were black too so I had to check the underside of each "finger" to see where the flesh began!
:bunny19

Thanks! I've tried the burrito method but not properly swaddling him...i feel he may still try to escape but i will try it haha

Latest posts

Back