Scabies on my Bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumbleduck

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm new here and I am looking for a reassuring ear as I really don't know what to do and I am losing so much sleep with worry.

My 3 month old Hotot bunny was diagnosed last week with scabies/mange. All four of his feet are atrocious and came on in the space of 2 days. They're crusty and he can barely walk. He claps his front paws when they bother him and he raises his back legs up when he sits as it seems unbearable for him to put them down.

He is also showing the tell tale signs of the pointed crusty nose, yet his ears seem fine (though we are giving him drops recommended by the vet).

He's currently eating his food, fresh veg (in moderation) but he isn't touching his hay at all. Which is often his favourite. He's going to the bathroom normally and appears very alert and just wants a lot of attention and he constantly tries to groom me when I am near. Sadly we don't want to touch him without latex gloves as rabbit scabies can infect humans yet cannot breed. His cage is cleaned out every single day and lightly disinfected with watered down rabbit based cleaner.

However, he's due his second injection to help cure this awful infestation this Friday, but he doesn't seem to be getting any better? I've read on countless community forums that individuals saw some sort of results/change/improvement after 7 days. The only thing I have noticed is that the dried skin on his hocks have changed colour to a very dark brown, which is the same for the crusty skin around his nose and mouth. Before treatment this was very bright and skin coloured. Is this a sign that the infestation is dying and this is his body scabbing up? Will this drop off?

The vet I am seeing is very ignorant and there isn't another for several hours. She hasn't really explained the process to me at all and I hope somebody here could reassure me that my baby bunny will be alright after his treatment. I have looked everywhere to see the process of change in a rabbit during the treatment but I just keep finding amazing and far fetched success stories with before and after photos that look remarkable. Why doesn't my bunny look better? Please, I'm so worried!

My Hotot bunny has received three weeks of treatment so far for his mange. I wanted to let you know after 2 injections a week of Ivermectin and Baytril plus a weekly foot bath, plus a single injection of normaectin at the beginning of his treatment he's been doing very well. This is his progress so far:
http://i.imgur.com/oifmYyU.jpg

Back