Gross spay incision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucktooth

Reaction score
One of my buns has a yucky incision it opened a bit and is swollen around it. I am freaking out a bit :( I contacted the dr and she said she will fix it tomorrow first thing. She is eating and drinking and pooping and peeing. I look at much worse injuries daily and am fine with it, but my own rabbit makes me feel dizzy. So upsetting!!! Has this happened to anyone else? What happened? I need moral support :S

When was the spay? What do you mean by "opened a bit"?

The good news is that spay incisions are typically closed in 2-3 layers. The fascia of the body wall is considered the "holding layer" which means it's responsible for keeping the rest of the internal organs internal. The outermost layer is the skin. Some surgeons choose to close an additional layer between those, depending on how much "dead space" there is, how fat the animal is, etc. If just the skin is looking a little puckery, you don't yet need to worry about her insides falling out.

What is important is to keep her from licking or chewing at it. This may mean she needs an e-collar which you can usually find at a pet store, or a bandage around her abdomen.

Her spay was on Friday. It's the skin layer as far as I can tell and I believe it's just fat showing through but it's still extremely upsetting. I've seen dehiscence in a dog, and it's intestines came through which was lovely. Bucktooth is having her incision repaired as soon as the dr gets here, and we're going to have to come up with a better idea than the stupid cone she won't leave on her head. I'm thinking we might be able to tie it to a harness

Back